The 47th Legislature of the Student Government Association (SGA) voted to fund a new server and new domain names for hosting a network of student organization websites called EmoryLife.

The server “will provide student organizations with a platform on which modern, responsive, feature-rich websites may be hosted,” according to the bill.

The server is called Virtual Private Server and takes large amounts of server space and splits it up into smaller servers to accommodate the close to 300 websites that will come under the web host, according to SGA Vice President for Communications and College sophomore Jon Darby.

According to Darby, this system will replace the current system of student organization websites, which are hosted by blogs.emory.edu.

“The EmoryLife Network will provide divisional councils, University-wide organizations and chartered student organizations access to modern, fast and functional websites on an integrated system, centrally managed by the Student Government Association in coordination with Campus Life Technical Services,” Darby wrote in an email to the SGA Finance Committee.

The bill also funds the domain names emorylife.org, emorylife.com, emorylife.net and emorylife.info so that students can type any variation into their browser and arrive at the same place, Darby said.

The Legislature voted to use the Fee Interest Account (FIC), which is comprised of the interest accumulated from the Student Activities Fee, to pay for the servers.

The FIC is meant for long-term projects that last for three or more years. The bill calls for the purchase of domain names and web hosting for three years. Members of the Legislature said they want to consider renewing the purchase after two years.

The total cost amounted to $1,964.07. The bill passed unanimously.

SGA also voted to change the way the three University senators allotted to SGA are appointed. Currently, the executive vice president of SGA fills the first seat, and the other two are appointed by the SGA president.

The Legislature unanimously voted to change the process such that the other two seats are now elected seats open to anyone in the student body.

SGA also unanimously confirmed College senior Niko Patel to the Office of the Vice Chair of the Board of Elections, College sophomore Jenelle Chiang as a University-wide Commissioner of the Board of Elections and College senior James Crowe, who currently serves as an Associate Justice of the Constitutional Council, as the Chief Justice of the SGA.

– By Rupsha Basu