The 46th Legislature of the Student Government Association (SGA) convened for its first open body meeting of the semester Monday night. They discussed the University’s successor for Provost Earl Lewis, who will be leaving his position at the end of this semester.

Dean of the College Robin Forman and Assistant Dean for Admission and Student Services Lynell Cadray attended the meeting to listen to the student government members’ ideas regarding what initiatives the next provost should focus on improving during his tenure.

Forman mentioned that one of the jobs of the provost is to oversee the deans of each of the University’s schools in addition to staying focused on the academic future of Emory.

SGA President and College senior Ashish Gandhi said he feels that the new provost should be someone who has experience dealing with a university like Emory, which has a big research component as well as a liberal arts identity.

According to Forman, the committee in charge of finding a new provost hopes that whomever they select can begin working on Jan. 1. The committee plans on announcing the new provost by the end of November.

The conversation between Forman and the SGA legislature continued with ideas ranging from intellectuality on campus to Emory’s reputation abroad.

Members of the SGA legislature also told Forman that they would like to see a greater connection among each of Emory’s schools and divisions.

The legislature said that more interconnectivity between the divsions would be helpful especially for students who wish to take courses at a different school.

In addition, freshmen elections for SGA will take place this Thursday. The ballots to vote can be found online.

– By Nicholas Sommariva