Honey bees are vital to the environment, to the U.S. economy and to our health. They serve as a keystone species for their habitats and pollinate more than 80 percent of cultivated crops for an economic impact of more than $20 billion. They also provide nutrients to our diets. But honey bees are dying, and we must adapt our lifestyles to save them. Colony collapse disorder is rampant, and pesticides are responsible for most of the recent decline in honey bee populations. Pesticides demolish bees’ motor-function and memory. If you are vegan, and it does not conflict with your religious beliefs, I encourage you to consider consuming honey to sustain the beekeeping industry. If you already buy honey, purchase it from local farmers. Everyone should research donating to bee sanctuaries or investing in an apiary. We all must use non-chemical pesticide alternatives to revive the species’ population count. Breed the broods or bare the burden. 

Shreya Pabbaraju (21C) is from Duluth, Ga. 

shreya.pabbaraju@emory.edu | Shreya Pabbaraju (21C) is from Duluth, Georgia, double majoring in Political Science and English and Creative Writing. She previously served as The Wheel's Managing Editor of Opinion, Editorials, and Arts and Entertainment. Pabbaraju co-hosts the WMRE radio show “The Next Best Alternative.” She is also a Center for Law and Social Science fellow, an IDEAS fellow, and a tour guide. She interned for the Institute for Developing Nations, and this past summer (2019) conducted research under the Institute of Human Rights. When she isn’t writing poetry and short stories, she loves to learn about tea and coffee brewing. She hopes to one day master the art of the pun.