Courtesy of Emory Photo/Video

This story is developing. Check back for updates.

Emory sophomore Albert Zhang (22C) died on Friday morning, according to an email sent to the Emory Scholars Program by Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education Joanne Brzinski. He was 18 years old. Details of his death have not been released. 

Zhang was from Dallas and majored in public policy and analysis.

Zhang was a Robert W. Woodruff Scholar and the vice president of communications for College Council. He was also a senior reviewer for the Emory Journal of Asian Studies, co-editor-in-chief of the Emory Undergraduate Medical Review and a former assistant news editor for The Emory Wheel.

The University provided the Wheel a statement Friday night offering condolences to Zhang’s friends and family. 

“We respect the family’s privacy, and our thoughts and prayers are with them,” the statement reads. “Emory is providing counseling services and other resources to support our community during this difficult time.”

The Office of Spiritual and Religious Life plans to hold a memorial service on campus though details have not yet been released.

Counseling and support services are available to the Emory community. Students may reach the Counseling and Psychological Services Center by calling (404) 727-7450 or the Office of Religious Life at (404) 727-6226. Faculty and staff may reach the Faculty Staff Assistance Program at (404) 727-4328.

Update (8/30/19 at 9:34 p.m.): The article was updated to include the University statement. 

Julie Vo (20C) is from Atlanta, GA, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Political Science. Aside from writing and reporting for the Wheel, she is a member of the Pre-Law Society, Vietnamese Student Association, and Atlanta Pediatric Cancer Outreach. In her free time, she loves volunteering, drawing/painting, and going to concerts.