The Dissent, Protest and Community Task Force – a committee that University President James W. Wagner commissioned in 2011 to study the dynamic between dissent and protest in the Emory community – released its final report in April which includes the creation of a Committee for Open Expression.

The newly-constructed committee will be composed of Emory community members, including faculty, staff and students “who seek to promote and protect the rights and responsibilities of community members related to issues and controversies involving speech, debate, open expression, protest and other related matters,” according to section 8.14.3 of the policy.

The committee’s primary responsibilities will include the investigation of alleged infringements of the right to expression on campus, and the pursuit of resolution through informal conflict resolution and mediation and as opposed to standard conduct procedures, the policy states.

The policy also outlines the community’s responsibilities which include freedom of speech and freedom of expression standards and standards for the scheduling of meetings, events and protests.

It also outlines the promotion and dissemination of the policy and the administration and enforcement of the policy.

Matt Garrett, assistant dean Division for Campus Life and the document’s scribe, explained that the Open Expression committee will also offer Emory community members an opportunity to learn about the policy.

“I am really excited about [the committee],” Garrett said. It’s a “body that really promotes support and helps protect freedoms.”

The finalized policy is the final phase in trying to guide “protest, dissent and expression at Emory,” according to an April 24 University press release.

Wagner and Emory faculty and staff members strongly felt the need for more public dialogue about the impact and important of protest and dissent on campus, Garrett said.

“The spirit of the policy is not to shut down protest or dissent, but to figure out how to maintain that protest or dissent to ensure that community members are no longer violating the policy,” Garrett said.

Both Ajay Nair, the senior vice president and dean of Campus Life, and Frank Alexander, a professor at the Emory’s School of Law, spearheaded the project, but the process involved many Emory community members.

College sophomore and member of College Council Reuben Lack, legislator, worked with different groups on policy language and determined the structure of the Open Expression Committee.

The premise of the initiative attracted him, he said.

“Emory students already come from a wide diversity of backgrounds and perspectives,” Lack said. “With a clear policy on how to express their views, either indirectly or a physical protest, the culture of open debate and dialogue will be expanded and made more inclusive. We should welcome the chance to engage each other on tough issues. Debate is always a good thing.”

The committee first drafted an initial document containing four sections: the significance of protest and dissent in community, the particular contexts of our communities, normative foundations of protest and dissent in our communities, and specific discussions of dissent, protest and community, according to Bobbi Patterson, a professor in the Department of Religion who was also involved in the initial stages of the initiative.

Through this change and the overall development of the document, Garrett said he hopes to create a culture that promotes free and open expression while creating transparent mechanisms for balancing dissent with the University’s missions and goals.

The task force has already received feedback from students, faculty and staff, which Garrett said he values highly.

He said the feedback allows the group to make specific guidelines and reach its ultimate goal of promoting open expression and only have limitations when they are absolutely necessary.

Lack said he believes the final version of the policy is extraordinary for anyone who wants to express him or herself on campus.

He said he is excited the policy allows protest on almost all open spaces and details when and how the administration can shut down a demonstration.

“Deans Nair, Garrett and Professor Alexander did a great job working with the students on the committee,” Lack said. “I’m truly excited to say that the University Senate now has a policy proposal before it that any student should be happy to support.”

– By Shivangi Singh