I have always been an opponent of the BCS system. The system never seems to produce two definite teams to play each other in one championship game and favors the teams in the bigger conferences while leaving the smaller conferences behind.

The best example of this is 201, when TCU capped off an undefeated season by beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, but because they were excluded from the championship game, they failed to garner consideration for the national title.

This year, however, is very different. For the first time in years, the system will actually undisputedly deliver the top two teams in the country to the national championship game on Jan. 7, 2013 in Miami, Fla.

Notre Dame, the only remaining undefeated team and unanimous number one in the rankings, has without a doubt secured one of those spots. The other spot will go to the winner of the SEC Championship game between Alabama and Georgia, which takes place this Saturday in the Georgia Dome.

Alabama, ranked number two in the BCS, reaches this game after finishing the regular season with an 11-1 record and winning the SEC West. The Tide enter Saturday afternoon as the best all-around team in the country with clear advantages on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

They have a balanced offensive attack that begins with their dominant offensive line. A.J. McCarron provides the team with an extremely efficient quarterback, managing the game while at the same time limiting the amount of turnovers his team has.

Eddie Lacy is a hard runner that will not go down easily and can kick it to another gear at any time. Their defense has always been one of the top aspects of Alabama’s team and this year is no exception, with them holding opponents to under 20 points in every win.

Alabama began the year with a convincing against Michigan. They then went into Death Valley and beat a very good LSU team. The only blemish on their schedule was when Jonny Manziel and his Texas A&M Aggies came into Tuscaloosa and were able to hang on.

Georgia, ranked third in the BCS, also finished the regular season with an 11-1 record and reached this game by winning the SEC East.

Led by quarterback Aaron Murray, Georgia has the highest quarterback rating in the country, Georgia’s offense has carried the team most of the season. The team has been able to score over 30 points in nine of their 12 games.

Murray leads the passing game, frequently looking to wide receiver Tavarres King. Their ground attack is also very solid behind, with Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall splitting carries.

The defense has not necessarily been a strength, but it is effective enough to allow their offense to lead the way.

The Bulldogs began the season strong but ran into trouble in the middle of the season, winning games against mediocre SEC teams like Vanderbilt and Kentucky by single digits, then losing to South Carolina by four touchdowns.

They do, however, have an impressive win over Florida, which occurred when the Gators were the second-ranked team in the country.

I expect the game to be very entertaining and very close, but even though I will be rooting for Georgia to pull out the win, in the end, I give the edge to Alabama’s squad.

They just have too much talent on both sides of the ball. Head Coach Nick Saban has been in these games before and will have his team ready to play.

Alabama’s defense will force a major turnover in the fourth quarter and win this game 24-14. Alabama will then meet Notre Dame in Miami, attempting to repeat as national champions and continue the SEC’s streak of seven straight championships.

By Brian Chavkin