Although it was a close call among the Wheel endorsement committee, we confidently endorse College junior Kerry-Ann Pinard for the position of Student Programming Council (SPC) vice president. This year, Pinard served as both SPC special events chair and SPC Beyond chair. SPC Beyond is a subcommittee of the organization that is dedicated to collaborating with other groups on campus. Through chairing these committees simultaneously, Pinard has distinguished herself as a dedicated, hard-working and successful candidate. During her three years as a member of SPC, Pinard has held two executive positions and has spearheaded successful events such as the Think Pink 5K run, Starbucks coffee breaks during exam week, free massages during exam study time and Screen on the Green, among many others.

As SPC vice president, Pinard plans to execute three main initiatives, one of which includes plans to diversify SPC’s on-campus presence by providing an array of events throughout the academic year that cater to a diverse student body. These events would be held in addition to the traditional Dooley’s Week and Homecoming. Pinard also plans to continue connecting SPC with other organizations on campus through the SPC Beyond initiative, helping other organizations – some of which may not have the funds or know-how – plan their own successful events on campus. This can be accomplished through training sessions or co-sponsoring such events.

Her final initiative concerns SPC’s ability to inform the student body when certain events are taking place. A typical student complaint about missing an SPC event is that they were unaware that it was happening on campus. Pinard is dedicated to ensuring, through various social media avenues, that every Emory student is informed of when and where these events are occurring. For instance, she plans to increase SPC’s online presence through Facebook and the SPC website. Although both Pinard and her opponent stood out as excellent candidates for SPC vice president, the Wheel felt that Pinard’s vast experience and laundry list of accomplishments distinguished her as a more qualified candidate. However, we would encourage Pinard to incorporate the aspect of sustainability into her initiatives, a platform point heavily stressed by her opponent.

It is Pinard’s passion, drive and, above all, commitment to turning ideas into reality that make her the best candidate for this position.