Student Activity and Academic Center | Photo by Jason Oh

So you’re a sophomore, and you’re thinking about moving off campus. Tired of living in the dungeon that is Woodruff, the nuclear fallout shelter that is Clifton or the library-annex that is Complex? Excited for the promised land of Highland Lake, the Eden of Clairmont Reserve or the pearly gates of Harwood?

Do not do it.

Or do it, I really couldn’t care less. Really, it’s a personal decision, and there are numerous good reasons to live off campus. But I am here to give you a few good reasons to live on campus.

The single best reason to live on campus are the shuttles, but my colleague Elizabeth Howell is covering the angle for us. However, there are a multitude of other good reasons.

• Once you move off campus, you no longer live within shouting distance of all of your friends. Whether you are looking for a partner for a late-night Wendy’s run or someone to help you on your Stats homework, it’s wonderful to be able to walk up a flight of stairs and knock on a friend’s door.
  • Residence Life will give you a ton of free stuff. They will shower you with candy, with pizza and with tie-dye parties. It is their job. Take advantage of it. Highland Lake will not give you candy.
  • If you live on campus, you do not have to deal with moving furniture or paying bills every month. No need to worry about late payments. No need to buy a dresser, shelves and a desk. No need to figure out how to store your bed over the summer.
  • Most importantly, the opportunity to live on campus is a four-times in a lifetime experience. You have your entire life to have a apartment that is both nicer and cheaper than what you can get at campus. But you just have these four years (five for some of us) to get free candy from your RA. Enjoy it.​

— By Bennett Ostdiek, Editor-at-Large