Tickets for the 2013 Richard Ellmann Lectures in Modern Literature at Emory University featuring award-winning musician and songwriter Paul Simon go on sale starting Monday, Dec. 3.

The Ellmann Lecture series began in 1980 to honor Richard Ellmann, Emory’s first Robert. W. Woodruff professor from 1980-1987. Emory hosts the biennial series to bring world-class thinkers and writers to campus to deliver lectures on the topic of modern literature.

Simon – a 12-time Grammy Award recipient and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – will deliver two lectures on Feb. 10 and 11 and a final lecture Feb. 12 with former U.S. Poet Laureate Billy Collins. The Feb. 12 lecture will be followed by a musical performance later in the day. Simon was awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003 for his work in the duo Simon & Garfunkel. In 2006, Simon was also labeled as one of Time Magazine‘s “100 People Who Shape our World.”

According to a Nov. 11 University press release, Simon is expected to discuss an overview of historical precursors to music made from 1966 to 1970 during the lectures.

College freshman Bryce Robertson explained how he thought that Simon’s presence on campus is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. He added that students are excited about the prospect of learning from a legendary performer such as Simon.

“I want to go to all the events,” said Robertson. “I look forward to hearing him speak about his life and his inspiration behind his songs. The opportunity to hear him perform live is incredible.”

Many students seem to be interested in attending the lectures that accompany Simon’s visit but many state they are most looking forward to the Feb. 12 performance. College freshman Max Goodley noted that she believed that Emory’s ability to bring in a well-known name such as Simon is impressive.

Tickets will be available Dec. 3 at 10 a.m. and may be reserved in-person at the Emory Box Office, by phone, or online at tickets.arts.emory.edu.

Tickets are free to the public but are limited to two tickets per person per event.

For more information regarding the lecture series, please visit: arts.emory.edu

– By Dustin Slade