The article in last Thursday’s edition of the Wheel regarding SGA’s new Oxford College Advisory Program caught my attention as both an alumnus and staff member of Oxford.

While I believe Vice President Danielle Zamarelli has the best intentions in mind, I do not think she fully understands her counterparts on Emory’s historic campus just 35 miles away.

In addition to the article mentioning “Oxford University” in reference to Emory University’s Oxford College, the article shows the program Zamarelli wishes to implement demonstrates an overall lack of understanding about Emory’s undergraduate programs.

The heart of the Advisory Program seems to indicate that Oxford students are generally disconnected and out-of-touch with the Atlanta campus when they continue (not transfer) for their junior and senior years.

Zamarelli indicates that she noticed a lack of “opportunities to learn about the Emory community” upon her campaign visit to the Oxford campus.

This is simply not true.

While she may not have noticed specific advertising, Oxford students regularly attend events on the Atlanta campus.

They include President Carter’s Freshman Town Hall, Dalai Lama lectures, Fall Band Party, Emory Cares events, and the list goes on.

Additionally, many Oxford students regularly take advantage of the Pitts’ Theology Library, Candler Reading Room among other popular spots on campus to study.

Although they are on a different campus, a short Cliff ride finds them staring directly at the DUC with the resources and amenities of the Atlanta campus if they so choose.

It should be noted, however, that social life at Oxford is equally vibrant. From special lectures, concerts, Coffee Houses, Homecoming Week, Dooley’s Week, etc.

Continuees can also engage in clubs and organizations on the Atlanta campus which they participated in at Oxford.

For example, if someone is in Volunteer Oxford, Volunteer Emory is a natural fit. Others include: Oxford Christian Fellowship/Emory Christian Fellowship, Outdoor Oxford/Outdoor Emory, Theater Oxford/Theater Emory etc.

Oxford students don’t need to rely upon the Atlanta campus to find a fulfilling life outside of the classroom.

Lastly, the notion that Oxford students keep to themselves and neglect to branch out into the larger Emory College community after their continuation is a two-sided issue.

It is a well-known fact that some of a person’s strongest connections while in college, regardless of where they attend, are formed within the freshman and sophomore years.

This is true not only of Oxford College students, but of students who begin at Emory College of Arts and Sciences.

Therefore, the responsibility of expanding social connections lies not only with Oxford students, but also with Emory College students.

No formal program is necessary for this to happen.

Just as freshmen reach out and make connections with unfamiliar faces, so too should sophomores, juniors and seniors regardless of whether the new face is an Oxford continuee or simply a student you have never encountered.

In closing, it is unnecessary for the Emory College SGA to design a program which holds the hands of Oxford continuees.

After all, these students have had the same educational, social and professional opportunities as their Emory College peers; they’ve just begun their Emory education on a different campus.

It is noble that VP Zamarelli wishes to assist the Oxford community.

I would just encourage her and her SGA counterparts to be welcoming and friendly to their peers from Oxford when they arrive as juniors.

Nicholas Missler is a College graduate from new Long, Ohio. He is now the admissions advisor for Oxford at Emory University.