Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology Andrew Neff, with caution, expounded the benefits of ketamine, psychedelic mushrooms and long walks in the woods as ways to address serious mental health issues during a Jan. 25 panel to an audience of 150 students.

The panel, hosted by Volunteer Oxford, welcomed Neff, Oxford’s Director of Counseling and Career Services Gary Glass, Oxford’s Director of Student Health Kerith Pocock and Leo Ghiloni (23Ox), who shared his perspective on mental health as a student. The speakers sought to “review campus resources” and to “address some inaccurate information” circulating regarding on-campus health appointments, according to Glass.

Pocock, who spoke first, highlighted the new “walk-in” system being implemented by the Student Health Services center in February, which will enable students to get immediate appointments with medical professionals without reservations.

After an overview of his department’s amenities, Glass discussed prevalent “misinformation” regarding counseling programs.

“I heard it takes over a month and a half to get a counseling appointment,” Glass quoted a student as saying. He cleared his throat before answering: “You heard wrong.” 

Emory Counseling and Psychological Services. (The Emory Wheel/Grace Shen, Contributing)

After highlighting the Counseling and Career Services’ involvement in students’ lives — Glass said that 240 students booked appointments in fall 2022 alone — he transitioned to discussing student mental health issues.  

Touching on hypercompetitiveness, social isolation and lack of validation, Glass reminded the audience that they are not alone on a campus that can feel devoid of a community. 

He addressed the crowd directly, demanding that “someone please explain what is so terrifying about going to the dining hall by yourself.”

Neff, who specializes in neuroscience and brain behavior, explored the usage of medication to treat someone with a major depressive disorder.

“With SSRI use, about 35% of you will be in remission within two months,” Neff said, pausing for a second before beaming at the audience. “That’s nice.”

Neff went on to discuss ketamine and hallucinogenic mushroom use as potential cures for extreme cases of depression. He cited statistics about the potentially-life-saving effects of psychedelics, then told the audience to “ask your doctor about doing drugs. And do them if they tell you.”

Ghiloni spoke last, highlighting the various ways he’s mended his mental health following a car accident that ended his basketball career.

“Express self-gratitude and appreciation,” Ghiloni said. “Overall, try to be comfortable with uncomfortable things.”

He also mentioned that Oxford has a unique sense of community.

“One thing about Oxford that I’ve really gained appreciation for is being in such close proximity to so many kids, all the same age as you,” Ghiloni added. “It’s really the last time in my life where I’ll be this close to so many people.”

Sarah Pendergraph (23Ox) was especially impressed by Ghiloni’s speech.

“It was brave of Leo to share in front of everyone,” Pendergraph said. “I was inspired to take more of an active role in making Oxford a better place for myself and those around me.”

Following the event, Glass praised the hosts.

“I really appreciate Volunteer Oxford,” Glass said. “They took what they noticed on campus that was problematic and they took some action. … That’s making a more supportive and therapeutic campus. That’s the direction we have to go in.”