The Student Government Association (SGA) voted down a bill on Monday that would have added a “no confidence” vote to Thursday’s student leadership elections ballot. While the bill initially proposed that the question ask, “Do you have confidence in President James Wagner?” it was amended to read, “Do you have confidence in the direction of the University?” The bill, proposed by fourth-year graduate student Andy Ratto, had been tabled at two previous SGA legislative sessions.

We at the Wheel are glad that SGA decided to change the focus of the bill from Wagner himself to the University as a whole and are disheartened that the bill did not pass. However, we feel that the organization should have found a different middle ground, perhaps by adding more questions to the ballot to ensure that the vote would indeed get to the heart of the issue at hand, rather than pinpointing Wagner, a very specific subject, or the University, one that is very broad.

At the same time, we are disappointed in SGA for not seizing this opportunity – that is, by passing the bill – to speak for the student body. Doing so would allow students to express their views on this subject in the rough climate that Emory has found itself in. SGA aims to act as the voice of the students. Thus, a vote for students, similar to the one that faculty will complete in the near future, would allow SGA to fulfill its duties.

Much of the opposition to the bill was rendered by undergraduate members of SGA, who claimed that the student body is not well informed enough to make a responsible decision. However, a confidence vote – especially on a question as broad as “the direction of the University” – is not only a matter of being well-informed but also of voicing one’s opinion in a democratic society. So, if including this question on the general election ballot would have been too much of a risk, we suggest that SGA take it upon itself to circulate another ballot amongst the student body.

However, instead of simply asking, “Do you have confidence in the direction of the University?” we would suggest that a ballot include several questions aimed at understanding the sentiment of the student body. Furthermore, we believe these questions should include the options “I don’t know” and “no comment.” By including these choices, students would have the opportunity to speak their minds without feeling pressured to select an option with which they do not entirely agree.

In tumultuous times such as these, it is essential to fully understand the sentiment of the student body so that effective change can be enacted. Although SGA missed its first opportunity to do so, it is not too late. We encourage the next SGA leadership to take action in a way that will include the entire student body and can potentially bring about positive change. Open discussion is crucial in a time during which tensions between administrators, faculty and students have increased so drastically.

The above staff editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel‘s editorial board.

This article was updated at March 29 at 12:25 a.m.