We in the ILA write to endorse the recent open letters published by our colleagues in the departments of English, History, African American Studies, Philosophy, and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. We share their profound dismay with the views expressed by President Wagner in his recent article in Emory Magazine.
For us in the ILA, President Wagner’s ill-chosen “Three-Fifths Compromise” model has a clear and direct tie to the cuts in academic programs announced last fall. These decisions, in violation of Emory’s established principles of shared governance and of all proper procedure, are immensely damaging to Emory’s much vaunted commitment to diversity. They impact faculty and students of color disproportionately and indicate that President Wagner has, after all, a limited commitment to the ideals of a diverse and mutually respectful University community.
Since arriving at Emory, President Wagner has often used the terms “courageous inquiry” and “ethically” driven scholarship. By his own principles, it is clear that he has fallen short of such ideals. President Wagner has caused enormous harm to the reputation of Emory University. We have lost credibility in the eyes of our peer institutions, parents and potential students, and alumni, not to speak of our current faculty and students.
While President Wagner has tried to distance himself from the original article with a request for forgiveness for his “clumsiness,” the use and analysis of the example were not part of off-the-cuff remarks but were composed with ample time for reconsideration. President Wagner’s apology seems heartfelt, but his characterization of one of the most notorious and painful episodes in American parliamentary history as “noble” is so egregious that we need concrete actions to heal the Emory community.
We urge the Board of Trustees to address as a matter of urgency the crisis in leadership at Emory University that President Wagner’s remarks have so clearly exposed. 
Sincerely,
Angelika Bammer
Kevin Corrigan
Sander Gilman
Anna Grimshaw
Lori Marino
Sean Meighoo
Howard Kushner
Catherine R. Nickerson
Walter Reed
Allen Tullos