Charlotte Selton/ Contributing

When I attended “Once,” I expected that a performance about a fledgling romance between a working-class, aspiring musician and an immigrant mother would offer a grand political or social statement. “Once” did not deliver that. Instead, the musical demonstrated the power of music to inspire and connect us, even without much plot or characterization. This 2012 Tony Award-winning show, based on the 2007 film of the same name, came to Atlanta’s Fox Theatre for a one-night spectacle on Oct. 11. 

The two lead characters, named simply Guy and Girl, are only slightly more developed than their names. Guy (Jack Gerhard) despondently works in his father’s vacuum cleaner repair shop in Dublin, bitter and pining over his ex-girlfriend who lives in New York City. Despite a beautiful voice and a gift for songwriting, he abandons his guitar on the street. However, Girl (Mariah Lotz) recognizes Guy’s musical talent and encourages him not to give up. Over the next week, Girl reinvigorates Guy’s mundane life, convincing him to record a demo album so that he can move to New York and get discovered. The plot fails to develop beyond this central quest, and the musical’s few moments of conflict are undercut by the supposed rapidity of the events. How invested can I be in a relationship that is only days old?

“Once” has not aged exceptionally well, with jokes about domestic abuse, aggressive courting and a gay character that fall somewhat flat, more awkward than outright offensive. Moreover, while none of the characters are fully developed, Girl’s “manic pixie dream girl” characterization has much more in common with a male artist’s fantasy than with an adult woman. She is somehow quirky but serious, beautiful and desired, selfless and unwaveringly energetic, but never lascivious or indecent. Despite having a young child and an aging mother, Girl’s sole purpose in the show is to mend and support Guy.

The music, not the storyline, carries the show. Before the performance began, song filled the theater as the cast jammed on stage while the audience came in and took their seats. No pre-show announcements interrupted the musical momentum as a transition to a slower-tempoed song quieted the audience. Sumptuous, evocative and raw, Guy’s songs are folksy bliss, and Gerhard’s voice carries them wonderfully. The entire cast demonstrate exceptional musical talent as they provide their own accompaniment, at times even playing their instruments while singing and dancing. Among a cast of wonderful voices, Emily Gregonis, who plays a minor character and member of chorus, merits particular note for her powerful and unusual voice. Despite never really connecting with the plot of “Once,” musical numbers like the first-act finale “Gold” enraptured me. 

This is not the first time “Once” has visited Atlanta; the play showed at the Fox Theatre for a week in 2014. However, the theater’s struggle to sell out the recent one-night performance, evinced in discounted tickets close to the performance date, suggests Atlanta should not expect to see “Once” back anytime soon. But, if you find yourself with the opportunity to see “Once” somewhere else and want to see a stirring folk concert, I heartily recommend it. If you want an engaging storyline or evocative characters, look elsewhere.