The 2023 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools” guide ranked the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing master’s program second in the nation in a tie with the Duke University School Nursing (N.C.). The guide also listed the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. program, which is a joint effort between the Emory University School of Medicine, Emory’s Laney Graduate School and the Georgia Institute of Technology, as No. 2 nationally.

This is the second consecutive year that both the nursing master’s program and biomedical engineering Ph.D. program ranked second. The placements were announced on March 29.

“As a global leader in research and academic excellence, we are committed to producing and empowering the next generation of thinkers and doers,” Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Ravi V. Bellamkonda said in a March 29 press release from the University. “Our renowned and dedicated faculty foster an environment where students can think critically about the world around them, and the complex issues we face as a society, to discover how they can make a positive impact in our world.”

In master’s programs categories, the nursing school tied for No. 4 in both nurse practitioner: adult/gerontology, acute care and nurse practitioner: adult/gerontology, primary care. The nurse practitioner: family program was ranked No. 5. 

The nursing school’s doctor of nursing practice (DNP) program was ranked No. 6, two positions higher than its ranking in the 2022 edition of the guide, which was released on March 30, 2021. Within the program, Emory tied for No. 5 in the DNP nurse administration management. It was also ranked No. 6 in family practice and seventh in adult gerontology/acute care.

Other notable rankings include the Rollins School of Public Health, which maintained its No. 4 ranking from the 2022 guide, and is tied with Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health (N.Y.).

The Emory School of Medicine ranked No. 22 among research-oriented medical schools for the second year in a row. However, the medical school ranked No. 42 among primary care schools, dropping from its No. 36 spot in the 2022 guide.

The Goizueta Business School’s full-time MBA program jumped from No. 26 in the 2022 guide to No. 21 this year, ranking above its No. 22 spot in the 2021 guide. However, the Emory University School of Law slipped from No. 29 to No. 30, continuing a downward trend from its No. 24 ranking in the 2021 guide. 

Several of the humanities and social science Ph.D. programs at Laney Graduate School were also ranked for the first time this year, including biostatistics, which tied for No. 11, psychology, which tied for No. 23 and biological sciences, which tied for No. 25.

The 2023 edition of the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges list, which ranks universities as a whole instead of only their graduate programs, has not yet been released. Emory earned the No. 21 spot among national universities in last year’s ranking, which was announced on Sept. 13, 2021.

Madi Olivier is from Highland Village, Texas, and is majoring in psychology and minoring in rhetoric, writing and information design. Outside of the Wheel, she is involved in psychology research and works for the Trevor Project. In her free time, you can find her trying not to fall while bouldering and watching Criminal Minds with her cat.