Dean Committee Narrows Down Finalists

EMORY – The search advisory committee for the dean of Emory College of Arts and Sciences, co-chaired by Oxford College Dean Douglas Hicks and Winship Distinguished Research Associate Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science and Department of Biomedical Informatics Li Xiong, has narrowed its pool to four finalists, according to an April 4 College-wide email from University President Claire E. Sterk. The dean candidates will be interviewed April 7 in Harland Cinema in a search forum that students can attend, according to a April 4 College Council email.

Atlanta Bridge Collapses

ATLANTA – A major section of northbound I-85 collapsed Thursday after someone set fire to a chair under the bridge, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Basil Eleby, 39, was charged with first-degree arson Saturday. Construction crews are working around the clock to rebuild the missing section, and the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) expects repairs to be completed by June 15, according to an April 4 GDOT press release. Commuters are facing increased vehicle and Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) traffic due to the I-85 closure. Emory sent out a March 30 University-wide email following the collapse to advise employees to plan alternate routes or telecommute, if possible.

Holmes Wins $25K Award

EMORY – Caroline Holmes (17C) won the Lucius Lamar McMullan Award, a $25,000 award that recognizes “graduates who show extraordinary promise of becoming future leaders and rare potential for service to their community, nation and the world,” according to Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Education Jason Cjieka. Holmes will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in physics and biology, and intends to pursue a Ph.D. in theoretical physics. A Woodruff Research Scholar, Holmes has worked as an EPASS tutor for organic chemistry and physics, directed the Volunteer Emory program and played viola in the Emory Symphony Orchestra. Holmes did not respond to request for comment by press time.

Concealed Carry Bill Moves Through Legislature

ATLANTA – The Georgia State Legislature passed House Bill 280, which if signed by Gov. Nathan Deal, would allow students to carry a concealed firearm on public college and university campuses, according to the AJC. Current Georgia law requires concealed carry permit holders to be at least 21 years old, undergo fingerprinting and pass a background check. The proposed law would not affect Emory’s campus because Emory is a private university. Deal may now sign or veto the bill. Last year, Deal vetoed a similar bill.

Tornados Touch Down In Georgia

ATLANTA – Up to 20 tornadoes touched down across the state of Georgia Monday night, leaving thousands without power, the AJC reported. Tornadoes were worst in North Georgia. Tornadoes continued Tuesday, and severe weather is expected to follow Wednesday through Monday, with high winds exceeding 60 miles per hour, tennis-ball sized hail and more tornadoes, according to the National Weather Service.

Former Executive Editor | Richard Chess (20C) served as the Wheel's executive editor from March 2018 to August 2019. He also held various other positions at the Wheel including as news editor and senior editor. As news editor, Richard covered issues related to the city of Atlanta and reported that the 2016 Migos scandal cost Emory $37,500. Richard has received numerous collegiate journalism awards for his investigative and objective news coverage, including an SPJ Mark of Excellence Award in 2019.