Clinton to Deliver Law School Keynote Address

EMORY — Former U.S. President Bill Clinton will deliver the keynote address for the School of Law’s Centennial Gala at the St. Regis Atlanta Hotel April 29, according to an April 10 University press release. Former U.S. Sen. and Emory alumnus Sam Nunn (D-Ga.) (62L) will receive the centennial Lifetime Achievement Award at the same event. The gala will serve as the apex of a weekend of events commemorating the law school’s anniversary, including reunion parties for classes dating back to 1966. Clinton’s address will be the second speech delivered by a former president as part of the Emory School of Law’s centennial celebration following former U.S. President and University Distinguished Professor Jimmy Carter’s April 6 speech on human rights.

Trump Orders Strike on Syrian Base

SYRIA President Donald J. Trump announced April 6 that he ordered a missile strike on a Syrian air base to deter Syria’s use of chemical weapons, according to The New York Times. The strike was aimed at the chemical attack’s launch site, which was ordered by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad April 4, against a rebel group. The chemical attack killed at least 86 civilians according to the Times. Russian President Vladimir V. Putin and Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi condemned the strike and called for military action against the United States should it order another attack. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threw his support behind the U.S.’s move for moral reasons, citing the need to abolish chemical weapons, according to the Times.

Three Die In Elementary School Shooting

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. A shooting at North Park Elementary School in San Bernardino, Calif., April 10 left three dead, including the gunman, a teacher and a student, according to The Los Angeles Times. Police identified the shooter as Cedric Anderson, who entered the school and opened fire on his estranged wife Elaine Smith. Smith was teaching a class of 15 special needs students, according to the The New York Times. Two students were airlifted to the hospital. Eight-year-old Jonathan Martinez succumbed to his injuries en route  and a nine-year-old student remains in stable condition as of Tuesday night. Police did not clarify if the students received direct gunshot wounds or were hit with shrapnel. Anderson had a criminal record that included domestic violence and weapon possession charges, according to The Los Angeles Times.

New York to Offer Free College Tuition

NEW YORK The New York State Senate passed legislation April 9 to approve the Excelsior Scholarship, which will pay tuition for students attending SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year public colleges whose families earn $100,000 or less annually. The program is estimated to cost approximately $163 million annually and will expand to assist students whose families make $125,000 or less annually by 2019, according to Reuters. Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) introduced the legislation January 2017 and it has been praised by advocates for the free college initiative, including Sen. and 2016 presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.). Scholarship recipients are required to work in New York for at least two years after receiving their associate’s or bachelor’s degree. If not, they must pay back the money as if it were a loan, according to NPR.

Editor-at-Large | aokluge@emory.edu
Alex Klugerman is a senior from Rockville Maryland in the Goizueta Business School, majoring in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Strategy Management Consulting and Film & Media Management. On the Wheel, he’s previously served as News Editor, Associate Editor and Interim Emory Life Editor. For his coverage of the Migos booking scam, he was selected as a finalist for the Society of Professional Journalist in the Breaking News Reporting category in the 2017 Region 3 Mark of Excellence Awards. He also placed first in the 2017 Georgia College Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest in the category Best News Article Based on Investigative Reporting. Currently, he is involved in the Wheel’s fundraising and planning efforts to commemorate its 100th Anniversary. Outside of the Wheel, Klugerman has interned with CNN in their Mobile + TV Apps product management division and enjoys cycling and travel.