• An Egyptian court upheld death sentences for 183 members of the Muslim Brotherhood, an Islamist political group, over an attack on a police station near Cairo, soon after the ousting of Muslim Brotherhood-backed President Mohammed Morsi. Eleven police officers were killed in the attack, which erupted after Egypt’s military began cracking down on Morsi supporters in summer 2013.

• Pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine will recruit 100,000 soldiers in an effort to gain an upper hand against the Ukrainian military in the country’s eastern regions, rebel leader Alexander Zakharchenko announced on Monday. Over the weekend, dozens of soldiers and civilians alike were killed in clashes between the Ukrainian military and the separatist militants.

• On Monday, President Barack Obama unveiled his $4 trillion budget plan, which included a 1.3 percent pay raise for federal employees, tax credits for the middle-class and a tax increase for the richest Americans and corporations making overseas profits. The budget, which drew criticism from fiscally conservative Republicans, also featured a six-year, $478 billion public works program to upgrade U.S. roads, railroads and ports.

• The New England Patriots became the first team to trail by double digits in the second half and still win the Super Bowl on Sunday. Led by 37-year-old quarterback Tom Brady, the Patriots took the lead with two minutes left in the game. The victory came amid an investigation of the team over allegations of under-inflating balls during a game against the Indianapolis Colts.

• Bobbi Kristina Brown, the 21-year-old daughter of Whitney Houston, was resuscitated on Saturday after her husband and a friend found her in a medically-induced coma in a bathtub in her Roswell, Ga. home. The incident alluded to the death of her mother, who was found dead among dozens of prescription drug bottles in a Beverly Hilton hotel bathtub on Feb. 11, 2012, on the eve of the 2012 Grammy Awards.

• Dozens gathered in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania early Monday morning to watch the state’s most famous groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, emerge from his burrow. Despite overcast skies, Phil saw his shadow, indicating six more weeks of winter, rather than an early spring. According to AccuWeather, the rodent has an 80 percent accuracy rate.

— Compiled by Assistant News Editor Lydia O’Neal

A College senior studying economics and French, Lydia O’Neal has written for The Morning Call, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Consumer Reports Magazine and USA Today College. She began writing for the News section during her freshman year and began illustrating for the Wheel in the spring of her junior year. Lydia is studying in Paris for the fall 2015 semester.