Jimmy Carter Admitted to Hospital For Infection

Former U.S. President and Emory University Distinguished Professor Jimmy Carter was admitted to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center in Americus, Ga., over the weekend to receive treatment for a urinary tract infection, according to a Dec. 2 Carter Center press release. Carter, 95, was released from Emory University Hospital on Thanksgiving Eve following recovery from a successful brain surgery to reduce internal bleeding. 

“He is feeling better and looks forward to returning home soon,” Director of Communications for The Carter Center Deanna Congileo stated in the press release. “We will issue a statement when he is released for further rest and recovery at home.”

City of Brookhaven Approves Plans for University’s $1 Billion Research Complex

On Nov. 27, the Brookhaven City Council approved plans by Emory University to build a $1 billion medical research complex at Executive Park, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC). The campus will be called “Emory at Executive Park” and will be built over the next 15 to 20 years. The city initially required that the University build pedestrian bridges over Interstate 85 and North Druid Hills Road as a condition for rezoning 60 acres of land but ultimately dropped the requirement at the meeting. Instead, the city will oversee the construction of the bridges through property tax revenue on the new complex. 

Plans for the campus include a “140-bed hospital, clinical buildings, medical offices, administrative offices, a 200-room hotel and multifamily apartments,” according to the AJC. The University broke ground on a musculoskeletal facility at the campus on Oct. 4. 

Kennesaw State Student Reaches Settlement on Anthem Protest Lawsuit

Kennesaw State University (KSU) (Ga.) cheerleader Tommia Dean reached a settlement with defendants whom she accused of violating her civil rights after she decided to kneel during the recitation of the national anthem at a Sep. 30, 2017 football game. Dean’s lawyer did not disclose the details of the settlement, according to the AJC. 

Dean and four other cheerleaders took a knee at the game as a protest against police brutality and racism, following a similar act by then-NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. State lawmakers complained to former KSU president Sam Olens that the act was unpatriotic. At KSU’s next game, the university’s athletic department decided that cheerleaders would no longer stay on the field during the national anthem. Dean, who is now a senior, filed the lawsuit in September 2018.

Governor to Pick Loeffler for Open U.S. Senate Seat, Defying Trump

Gov. Brian Kemp is expected to pick businesswoman and political newcomer Kelly Loeffler to fill Georgia’s soon-to-be vacant U.S. Senate seat at a press conference on Wednesday, according to the AJC. In August, longtime Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) announced his intent to step down at the end of the year, citing health issues. Loeffler is the CEO of Bakkt, a digital assets firm, and a co-owner of the Atlanta Dream, the city’s WNBA franchise.

If picked, Loeffler will be the second female U.S. senator in Georgia history. However, the appointment will defy President Donald J. Trump’s request that Kemp pick U.S. Rep. Doug Collins (R-Ga.), a four-term congressman and a loyal defender of Trump. According to the AJC, Collins would “strongly” consider running for the position in the November 2020 special election if Kemp does not choose him. 

Harris Drops out of Presidential Race

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) announced that she was dropping out of the 2020 presidential race on Tuesday, citing her campaign’s financial difficulties, according to The New York Times. After The Times published an article on Nov. 29 that described problems in Harris’ campaign, caused an audit of the campaign’s finances. The decision came after layoffs at campaign offices in Baltimore and New Hampshire. In a tweet, Harris said she will continue to “fight for what this campaign has been about: Justice for People. All the people.”

Harris’ had drawn criticism on her health-care stance, where she was unclear on her support for a “Medicare-for-all” plan that other Democratic candidates have proposed, according to Politico. Harris’ record as a prosecutor was also criticized in the fourth Democratic primary debate by presidential candidate, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii).

Former Editor-in-Chief | Isaiah Poritz (he/him) (21C) is from Salt Lake City, Utah, and majored in political science.