Emory Johns Creek Hospital Adds 2 New Floors To Expanding Facility

On Nov. 7, Emory Johns Creek Hospital broke ground for a $61 million expansion that includes the addition of two new floors and 40 beds to the hospital, according to a University press release. The facility’s addition will continue to be sustainable; incorporating large windows to welcome natural daylight, as well as LED lighting, low-emission interior finishes and waste and reduction efforts throughout the construction process. The hospital will begin construction this fall, and the new area is expected to open April 2021.

Georgia Tech Staff Member Sends Out Student Data

On Nov. 5, an employee at the Georgia Institute of Technology sent personal information, including student identification numbers and grade point averages (GPAs), to about 1,100 students via email. In addition to GPAs and ID numbers, the employee sent a file that contained student names, ethnicities and email addresses. According to a Nov. 6 email released by Georgia Tech, the file had been attached to the email “inadvertently.” The email also confirmed that the file did not include information about social security numbers or student birthdays. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC), a similar situation occurred in July 2018 when a member of the university mistakenly emailed personal information of nearly 8,000 College of Computing students to other students.

Taylor Swift to Headline Free Atlanta Concert 

Pop singer Taylor Swift will play the Capital One JamFest on April 5 at the Centennial Olympic Park during the NCAA Men’s Final Four Tournament. Capital One announced that the concert will be a free event for fans. Additionally, Swift has stated that she will not tour in 2020, excluding her Lover Fest West and Lover Fest East shows. Previous performers for the Capital One JamFest include Bruce Springsteen, Maroon 5, Katy Perry, the Dave Matthews Band and Sting. 

U.S. Department of Education Cancels Loans for Defrauded Students

U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos announced the cancellation of federal loans for about 1,500 students who were enrolled at either The Art Institute of Colorado or the Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago on Nov. 8. Both schools were a part of Dream Center Education Holdings, a non-profit that owns a chain of higher education institutions, which collapsed. Additionally, students enrolled in another 24 schools owned by the same company may have their loans erased after June 29, 2018. 

Schools under Dream Center Education Holdings shut down in March after millions of dollars in federal financial aid funding went missing, according to The New York Times. Most borrowers will still owe federal loans taken out before Jan. 20. However, some students may still be able to qualify for total student loan elimination through the department’s closed school discharge program, meaning students would no longer have an obligation to repay their loans and would receive reimbursement of payments made voluntarily or through the forced collection. 

Protesters Express Disapproval at Atlanta Trump Rally

During President Donald J. Trump’s visit to Atlanta, about 200 protesters from all over the country came to the Georgia World Congress Center to criticize the president’s policies and actions. According to the AJC, people carried signs that read “Country over party” and “45 is a racist.” For the most part, the protest was peaceful. Anger erupted when some of the president’s supporters tried to rationalize their support to the protestors, who stated their support for his impeachment. Protestors also expressed their concern about Trump’s negative rhetoric when he discusses black-majority cities like Atlanta and Baltimore.

Emory Celebrates 50 Year Anniversary of $100 Million Woodruff Gift

On Nov. 8, 1978, Robert W. Woodruff, who attended Emory until 1912, donated $100 million to Emory University in the form of 3 million shares of Coca Cola stock. Woodruff, a retired Coca Cola chairman and College alumnus, gave his first gift to Emory in 1947 and donated over $230 million to the University throughout his lifetime. The gift was the largest single donation in the history of American philanthropy at the time, according to The Times.

Layla Wofsy (23C) is from Westport, Connecticut and is majoring in political science. In addition to the Wheel, Wofsy is a member of the Emory Young Democrats executive board. She previously worked a campaign intern for a state senate candidate in her district in Connecticut. and helped lead the candidate to victory in 2018. She also worked on his re-election campaign this past summer.