Emory King Week Honors Martin Luther King Jr.’s Legacy 

Emory is finishing off its week of events in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. On Wednesday, Charles Howard Candler Professor and Chair of the African American Studies Department Carol Anderson will lecture on voting rights and voter suppression. On Thursday, the Rollins School of Public Health and the Goizueta Business School will present Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Awards to members of the Atlanta community who have exemplified courage through social justice. Also on Thursday, the “Emory Conversation Project: King’s Riverside Church Speech” will be held in Cox Ballroom and will reflect on King’s Riverside Church speech which had critiqued the Vietnam War. The celebratory week will end on Sunday with a worship service featuring singing from Voices of Inner Strength Gospel Choir. Rev. Kim Jackson, the first black LGBTQ+ priest ordained in the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta and a candidate for the Georgia State Senate, will speak at the event.

Karnes Appointed Vice Provost for the Arts

Emory Professor of Music History and Chair of the Emory Department of Music Kevin Karnes was appointed the first vice provost for the arts, according to a Jan. 14 Emory news release. In this newly created position, Karnes will collaborate with students and faculty to energize Emory’s arts culture. According to the release, the position is tied to the University’s “One Emory: Engaged for Impact” initiative, which facilitated the creation of Emory’s Task Force on the Future of the Arts, which Karnes also co-chaired. During Karnes’ tenure as department chair, he helped create a new arts curriculum. 

Emory to Host New Science Exhibition 

Emory University has announced a new partnership with Science Gallery International (SGI), which is headquartered at Trinity College Dublin in Ireland. The partnership will create an immersive exhibition space in Atlanta. This Science Gallery is designed to inspire young adults in both science and art. In creating this space, Emory joins an SGI educational collaboration that includes seven universities around the world.

CDC to Screen for Coronavirus at Hartsfield-Jackson

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will begin an entry health screening this week at the Hartsfield-Jackson and Chicago O’Hare airports for the coronavirus. The coronavirus can cause respiratory illnesses and symptoms and has caused several deaths in China, according to a CDC report. Last week, the CDC began screening at San Francisco International, John F. Kennedy International and Los Angeles International airports.

The first U.S. case of coronavirus was confirmed by the CDC in Snohomish County, Wash. on Monday. The subject contracted the disease in Wuhan, China, and returned to the U.S. on Jan. 15, 2020, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The patient is currently being treated at the Providence Regional Medical Center in Rhode Island. The first cases of coronavirus were reported late last month and thought to be a result of animal-human transmission. It is not yet known if the virus can transfer between humans.

Amazon to Open Warehouse in Atlanta, Create 500 New Jobs

Amazon announced on Saturday that it will open a 1-million-square-foot warehouse in the metro Atlanta area. At the warehouse, employees will pack and ship customer orders for Amazon. This is the second major Amazon project announced in metro Atlanta in the past year. Trae Westmoreland, head of the Coweta County Development Authority, said the “significant capital investment” will strengthen the area’s economy and help other firms bring in new business, according to the AJC.

Majority of Georgia Voters Oppose Removing Trump from Office

An AJC poll conducted on Jan. 20 revealed that the majority of Georgia voters oppose removing President Donald Trump from office. The previous poll, conducted in November, found that 54 percent of registered Georgia voters disapproved of Trump’s record while 44 percent approved.

Approximately 57 percent of respondents said voters should decide Trump’s fate in the 2020 election rather than the ongoing trial. These respondents included a majority of independents and about a quarter of Democrats. Half of respondents say Trump has not committed an impeachable offense while 45 percent say he has.

Correction (1/25/20 at 2 p.m.): A previous version of this article stated that Providence Regional Medical Center is in Rhode Island. In fact, the Providence Regional Medical Center is in Washington state.

Layla Wofsy (23C) is from Westport, Connecticut and is majoring in political science. In addition to the Wheel, Wofsy is a member of the Emory Young Democrats executive board. She previously worked a campaign intern for a state senate candidate in her district in Connecticut. and helped lead the candidate to victory in 2018. She also worked on his re-election campaign this past summer.