As Max Zoberman, a Regular Decision applicant to Emory College from Delray Beach, Fla. rushed to leave work on March 27, he paused as he received an email on his phone alerting him that his admission decision was available.

Not wanting to know the verdict before getting behind the wheel, Zoberman waited until he could safely view the decision at home on his laptop.

Once he logged into his online OPUS, he needed to read no further than “It gives me great pleasure…” to know he had been accepted to Emory College.

“I felt an overwhelming sense of catharsis, this profound calm,” Zoberman said. “…I finally knew where I was going to spend the next four years of my life.”

Zoberman then had access to a newly developed admitted students website in addition to receiving a newly created admit packet in the mail a few days later – two new strategies that the Emory Office of Admission implemented this year to welcome and attract admitted students.

As soon as applicants viewed their acceptance letters on OPUS, they were directed to the new admitted students website, which featured a “Welcome to #Emory2017” video. Accepted students could also find answers to frequently asked questions, contact current students and plan a visit to campus on the website, according to Office of Admission Director of Communications Daniel Creasy.

Additionally, the Office of Admission continued to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other forms of social media to allow admitted students to connect with each other.

Early admitted students received a care package for the first time in March with an 18 inch cardboard Dooley, which they could take a picture with and post on the Emory Class of 2017 Facebook group in order to garner enthusiasm on social media.

The admit packet arrived in a blue and yellow envelope with an aerial photo of campus, a picture of Dooley and the words “You’re in! 2017!” printed on it.

The packet included a copy of the student’s acceptance letter, a window sticker, information about open houses for admitted students and Atlanta attractions as well as other brochures, Zoberman said.

He added that the information he has received since being accepted to Emory strongly influenced his decision to enroll.

“I’ve received a lot of material that has appeared to be aimed at familiarizing me as best as possible with the feeling of the school,” he said. “The welcome materials have given me a pretty clear picture of the school’s strong sense of traditions and allowed me to paint a mental picture of what a life for me at Emory might look like.”

Creasy said that because early admitted students tend to be the most excited about their acceptance, their enthusiasm on social media can help attract regular decision students who haven’t yet made up their minds about their college decision.

In addition to these strategies, the Office of Admission also planned three admitted student open houses in April. During their visits, admitted students have the chance to speak with current students and receive Emory paraphernalia.

“We want our admitted students to plan a visit, spend a day on-campus, see the real Emory, and then make a comprehensive decision about whether Emory is the right fit for them,” Creasy said. “If in the end a student turns us down, I am fine with that. I just want them to give us a chance, and through these initiatives I feel we are making it clear we want them.”

– By Elizabeth Howell