The New Pornographers performed at The Buckhead Theatre last week. The group's setlist featured both new and old favorites, showcasing their development over the past two decades. | Photo by Jason Charles, Staff

The New Pornographers performed at The Buckhead Theatre last week. The group’s setlist featured both new and old favorites, showcasing their development over the past two decades. | Photo by Jason Charles, Staff

By Jason Charles
Staff Writer

Last week, the Buckhead Theatre was packed with a diverse crowd of mostly 20-something music lovers as the New Pornographers (TNP) hit the stage. TNP is the kind of band you go see if you really appreciate the intricacies of musical arrangements, the intervals used in a harmony or maybe the beauty of telling a story through song – but it’s also just good old-fashioned fun.

The group was founded by multi-talented musician and singer/songwriter Carl (A.C.) Newman and features the Evaporators’ John Collins, Destroyer’s Dan Bejar, cartoonist/filmmaker Blaine Thurier, Immaculate Machine’s Kathryn Jane Calder, critically-acclaimed solo artist Neko Case and newcomer Todd Fancey.

The Canadian rockers have mastered the essence of power pop, and their airtight harmonies and infectious hooks span all six of their studio albums. This is especially impressive for a supergroup, or a rock group formed by musicians already famous from playing in other groups, to accomplish.

When already-established artists and musicians come together, the results can either be incredible or dreadful, depending on the chemistry and mix of the members.

But TNP certainly does the former, as they combine genuine talent with pop-driven hooks and accessible melodies to create a unique balance of artful expression and pure entertainment.

The current tour for their latest album Brill Bruisers is their first time back on the road as a group since 2010.

Fans were anxiously awaiting their return and wondering how tracks on Bruisers would fare live alongside their most classic tracks.

TNP boldly opened the show with the title track off their new record and keenly followed it with one of their most beloved tracks, “Myriad Harbour” (Challengers). Other songs off Brill Bruisers fit in seamlessly with the rest of the set. Most successful was “Dancehall Domine,” which was explosive live and served as the perfect start to their two-part encore.

Other stand-outs of the night include oldies like “Jackie, Dressed in Cobras” (Twin Cinema) and “All the Old Showstoppers” (Challengers), which showcased Bejar’s acrid, passionate vocals and Newman’s sweet, simple melodies respectively.

When “The Bleeding Heart Show” was released back in 2005, it quickly became the cornerstone of the band’s most cherished album, Twin Cinema, and it helped set the stage for the rich, complex textures and contemplative themes that would shape the albums that followed.

When all the vocalists joined together to belt those iconic “hey-las” at the end of the song, they echoed through the room as a full rich harmonic chord, and I felt the evolution and growth of the group over time through the music.

The set was structured so that the artists were each highlighted sporadically throughout the show.

Bejar’s relaxed, downtempo solos like “War on the East Coast” (Brill Bruisers), juxtaposed with the Newman’s vibrant self-awareness on “Moves” (Together).

And between, the members would switch instruments, come on and off stage and trade off lead vocals intermittently.

This kept the set exciting and allowed everyone to hear their favorite Pornographer shine.

TNP formed in 1997, and over the last two decades, they have quickly become one of the most prominent and influential supergroups in indie music.

Seeing them live will certainly confirm their immense talent and collective influence. Sure, most of the members of TNP have their own agenda and solo projects. But, in this case, the whole is worth more than the sum of its parts.

– By Jason Charles, Staff Writer