The men’s soccer team notched a 4-1 victory over the Roanoke College (Va.) Maroons on Thursday night, advancing to the second round of the Division III NCAA Tournament. The win improved the Eagles’ record on the season to 11-6-2.

“We played great as a team,” said senior midfielder Andrew Natalino. “The offense played very well, and the defense has been coming together.”

Emory came out firing early. Sophomore forward Dylan Price put the Eagles up in the 17th minute of play with a goal off an assist from Natalino. It was Price’s 12th goal on the season and Natalino’s third assist.

With the game-winning goal, Price matched the program’s single-season record with seven game-winning goals.

Natalino extended the lead to 2-0 with a goal at 37:04. Freshman forward Sebastian Hardington was credited with the assist.

Natalino leads the Eagles with 14 goals on the season. His 32 career goals put him at a tie for eleventh place in school history.

“Natalino played outstanding,” Head Coach Sonny Travis said. “Tonight he was the difference. He really broke the game open with his two goals.”

Just three minutes into the second half, freshman midfielder Connor Curtin corralled a long pass from sophomore midfielder Michael Rheaume and put a shot past Maroons freshman goalkeeper Cole Sinclair.

It was Curtin’s first collegiate goal and Rheaume’s first collegiate assist.

Natalino added his second goal of the contest in the 61st minute to run the lead to four goals.

Maroons freshman defender Robbie Lentine knocked Roanoke’s only goal on the night in the 77th minute off an assist from freshman midfielder Tyler Carbaugh.

Eagles freshman goalkeeper Abe Hannigan continued his strong play, recording two saves and running his season record to 9-3-0. Hannigan has let in just one goal over the team’s last three games.

The Emory offense was dominant as well, outshooting the Maroons 14-5 with a 13-3 edge in shots on goal.

“I was absolutely satisfied with the intensity we played with from beginning to end,” said Travis. “On the attack, we really stepped it up.”

The win was Emory’s second tournament victory in program history and just its first in its last 13 NCAA contests.

Emory also set a team best with four tournament goals, while Natalino became the first Eagle to score multiple goals in a postseason game.

The Eagles will put their three-game winning streak on the line in the second round against the nation’s top-ranked team, the undefeated Messiah College Falcons on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 6 p.m.

“I think everyone feels very confident … and the biggest thing for us is our confidence and to continue playing as we’ve played the past few games,” Natalino said.

By Ryan Smith