I came to Emory in 2019 wanting to pursue a degree in neuroscience and behavioral biology. Growing up, I knew I wanted to go into a STEM-related field. I excelled in math and science courses, became lab certified through a 4-year Biomedical course and graduated second in my high school class. Science was my life, and researching dementia-related diseases was my dream.

Now, I’m entering my senior year. I dropped Neuroscience in the fall of 2020, replacing it with a double major in creative writing and psychology. I’m looking at either enrolling in a playwriting graduate program or finding a job that would allow me to write in my free time. My grades in STEM courses are not as outstanding now as they were years ago — receiving a C in Calculus II would have scarred first-year Eythen. So, what happened in these past few years to create this directional shift?

Was it Dr. T. Cooper’s “Introduction to Fiction” spring 2020 course that helped me see the beauty of writing? Was it my freshman English course, where Professor Ben Miller asked us to code an interactive fiction and I became enthralled with the intersection between STEM and art? Was it the Wheel’s Arts & Entertainment section that allowed me to meet creative people and showed me all the art that happens on campus? Or, was it the new friends I made during my first year, who possessed such rich artistry and inspired me every time I saw them? I’m not really sure which experience specifically led to this diversion, but I’m incredibly appreciative of it.

The first field I was interested in as a child was entomology, the study of insects. Then entomology changed to astronomy, to cardiology and then eventually to neuroscience. And sure, I liked watching movies and I occasionally read books, but I never made art or deeply engaged with it outside of an English classroom until I got to college. Now, I see art everywhere I look. The paintings I would ignore on my way to classes now stop me in my tracks. The performances I thought I didn’t have time to check out now take up my evenings. 

Ever since I started making art on campus, I’ve felt different about life. The trees feel a bit greener. My conversations feel longer and more captivating. I feel happy.

I’ve been given opportunities to do things I thought I’d never do nor like while exploring art at Emory. I’ve found a love for acting, collaging, filmmaking and costume designing. I’ve taken some of my craziest ideas and put them on the page, stage, canvas and beyond. I’ve met some of the most talented and creative people who not only amaze me with their work but support me as I make my own. And, even when I’m stressed out about finding the perfect ending for a story or trying to find a bathrobe on short notice for a play, I can still sit back, look at the work I’m doing and smile. There are few things I wouldn’t do to experience the euphoria of making art, and I want you all to explore similar passions in the world of art.

Now, let me be clear, I am not telling you all to switch majors. My decision to focus on writing required a lot of consideration and one-too-many existential crises. Plus, the last thing I want to be is some revolutionary that has to receive emails from frustrated parents, wondering why their child switched from Chemistry to pursue a major in dance (even though I’d probably do the same). What I’m saying is that you are entering a new chapter of your life, a phrase I’m sure you’ve heard a thousand times already. You may learn that your dream isn’t what you expected. I have no disdain toward the field of neuroscience; I just find myself feeling more engaged with writing and art. So, don’t be afraid to question your future or go out of your comfort zone to try something you’re curious about. The feedback I received in my “Introduction to Fiction” course helped me journey into new territories, and taking it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

There are so many organizations on campus that you can check out if you’re curious about art. If you’re interested in learning about theater, not only can you check out Theater at Emory, but also student-led organizations like Dooley’s Players, Ad Hoc and Lenaia. For music fans, the Emory Musician’s Network and Emory Composer’s Society are great places to meet fellow musicians and songwriters. Plus, if you prefer acapella, then check out one of our many groups, such as AHANA, chaiTunes and Dooley Noted. If you write in your free time, the Lullwater Review and Alloy are two Emory-based literary magazines looking for submissions. If dancing is more your forte, you can check out one of the many dance groups, from Emory’s own Dance Company to the Emory Ballroom Dancing club.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, as Emory is full of organizations that challenge us and engage with our interests. No matter your interests, there is a scene at Emory. And, if you find opportunities in your area of interest are lacking, start your own club, and I promise you people will come.

If I could go back in time and give first-year Eythen a piece of advice, it would, firstly, be to stop wearing skinny jeans. No hate toward them, but looking back, they were quite unflattering on me. Then the second thing I would tell myself is to flesh out that story idea. Check out that play you saw a flyer for in the DCT. Find some friends and make some chalk art on the Quad. Make and engage with as much art as you can in these next four years, and find some friends to join you. It’s rare to have the opportunity to enter such a strong arts scene as there is at Emory. So, make the most of it.

Eythen Anthony (he/him) (23C) is a Creative Writing and Psychology major from West Virginia. His writing has been featured in the Viral Plays Project and the Lenaia Playwriting Festival. He's also a finalist for the 2019 Crossword Hobbyist Crossword Scholarship. In his free time, Anthony enjoys collecting Blu-rays, attending punk shows and reading. Contact Anthony at eythen.aaron.anthony@emory.edu.