Incoming College Council President Neha Murthy (24C) selected Claire Bowman (25C) as vice president for the 68th College Council, according to an Instagram post on March 6.  

“I am really excited to work with Claire this upcoming year,” Murthy wrote in an email to the Wheel. “She’s a hard worker with a great vision and while supporting me will make great strides of her own.”

Bowman, who currently serves as College Council’s co-vice president of communications, wrote in an email to the Wheel that the “wonderful” students she works with in College Council inspired her to apply for the position.

“Emory is home to a diverse and talented student body and I look forward to working alongside students and administration to enact meaningful change,” Bowman wrote.

College Council’s vice presidential seat was left vacant after Muhammad Sami (25C), who was the sole candidate for the position, was disqualified from the election on Feb. 24 after failing to submit campaign expenditure receipts.

As a result, College Council opened an appointment process for the position. Applications opened on Feb. 27 and closed on March 2, with 13 students applying for vice president. Murthy began interviewing applicants on March 3. 

During the interviews, Murthy emphasized to applicants that being vice president is a time-consuming managerial position with about 60 people reporting to them. She also noted that outgoing College Council President Akshat Toshniwal (23C), two chiefs of staff and Leadership and Transitions Program Coordinator Carson Banks, who previously served as College Council’s faculty advisor, helped her conduct interviews, but she made the final decision.

Sami sent the Wheel a letter addressed to the student body in which he noted that he applied alongside Bowman for the position, despite the disqualification.

“I still applied as I was more confident than ever, not only in my skills but in the confidence the student body put in me,” Sami wrote in the letter.

Although he was not selected as vice president, Sami wrote that he still plans to “work in an independent capacity” to serve the student body. This includes working on a research opportunity database initiative and trying to combat “email fatigue,” which he thinks causes students to miss opportunities.

Sami wrote in a separate email to the Wheel that he still plans to work on the initiatives he proposed during his campaign and that he offers Bowman his best wishes.

Before the appointment decision was announced, Murthy, who currently serves as the College Council vice president this year, said that she hopes the vice president would not be afraid to share their own opinions, as they lead College Council’s legislative branch.

“I don’t want them necessarily to be a secretary for me,” Murthy said. “I want them to also have their own vision for College Council.”

After the vice presidential appointment decision was announced, Murthy wrote in an email to the Wheel that she chose Bowman for the position because she is humble and is confident in voicing her opinions.

“This is a quality that is very important in a VP because first, I need someone who is able to support me in bringing my vision and platform to life, but secondly, because if I don’t have someone to call me out then progress will be made in vain,” Murthy wrote.

Murthy also noted that Bowman’s previous experience on College Council gives her a unique vision.

“I trust Claire’s judgment and was especially thrilled to learn about her vision specifically based on the Comms experience she has,” Murthy wrote. “Working with the legislature more closely I already see her bringing more attention to the initiatives that our committees are enacting and enabling them to be leaders as well.” 

Bowman wrote that she looks forward to serving as vice president and encouraged students to apply to open College Council positions, which includes several vice presidential and assistant vice presidential roles.

“My appointment into this position is not something I take for granted — I understand that this year’s situation has been extremely unique, and I promise that I will put forth my strongest effort in properly representing and supporting the student body of Emory College,” Bowman wrote.

Amelia Dasari (she/her) (26C) is from Sharon, Massachusetts, majoring in neuroscience and behavioral biology on the pre-medical track. Outside of the Wheel, Dasari is involved with undergraduate research, Best Buddies, EUMR, RHA, and rez-life. In her free time she enjoys playing the violin, exploring coffee shops, and reading mysteries (especially Agatha Christie).