Sequels are a gamble in the entertainment industry, and Netflix’s “Murder Mystery 2” is no exception.

Courtesy of Scott Yamano / Netflix

The movie, released on March 31, features Nick (Adam Sandler) and Audrey Spitz’s (Jennifer Aniston) return for yet another twisted run of cynical events. The dynamic husband-wife duo successfully brought back the nostalgic era of action comedies, which includes the “Rush Hour” series and “21 Jump Street” (2012), along with the release of “Murder Mystery” in 2019. The preceding installation poses interesting themes of inequality and marital stagnation as chaos unravels between the Spitz’s. Following the success of the first film, the stakes are high, as we would naturally expect an equally fun and exciting sequel. This time, the Spitz’s are cursed again as murders and sinister motives interrupt their vacation.

“Murder Mystery 2” features some unexpected plot twists and drama, but the film fails to build on the successful first movie. One of the primary issues with the film is its weak script, particularly in terms of mystery plot and dialogue. The crimes committed lack a clear motive, leaving the audience confused and disengaged. The writers attempted to incorporate common themes from other detective stories, such as theft, unexpected villains and materialistic relations, but the plot development lacks coherence. Moreover, the dialogue in the film is childish and superficial, failing to provide any real depth to the characters. As a result, viewers are unable to connect with them on a deeper level. The lack of tension and suspense makes the film underwhelming. “Murder Mystery 2” is supposed to be a spoof of classic murder mysteries, but it comes off as a low-budget “Knives Out” (2019).

Although the movie may not be a standout action comedy, the dynamic between Sandler and Aniston keeps it watchable. Sandler’s on-screen presence is lively and his character’s silly charm endears him to the audience. He acts unexpectedly, providing moments of entertainment that keep viewers engaged in the “whodunit.” Aniston’s character balances out Sandler’s goofiness with her constant resilience and drive to catch the culprit, as well as her desire to reclaim their spots as premium detectives. This polar combination enhances the realism of the movie by portraying the differences in the couple. The chemistry between the Spitz’s makes it difficult for viewers to dislike the detective lovebirds. Their banter, especially when facing marital problems, adds a humorous touch to the film.

Sandler and Aniston are clearly the highlights of the film, but their performances are not enough to make it enjoyable. With a runtime of only 89 minutes, it is possible that the time constraints contribute to the weak plot of “Murder Mystery 2.” However, the release of sloppy movies like this raises questions about what lengths producers expect viewers to go to entertain themselves. In a bid to achieve commercial success, these movies lack attention towards the artistic ability of the productions.

Despite featuring an extremely talented cast and a four-year gap since the preceding film, I was surprised to see “Murder Mystery 2” flop so miserably. The increasing amount of new and renewed productions has resulted in a decline in overall quality, with production houses prioritizing quantity over quality. “Murder Mystery 2” serves as a reminder of the consequences of high turnovers, as the weak script and lackluster plot fail to deliver a satisfying movie experience for viewers.

Yashonandan Kakrania (he/him, 26B) is from Kolkata, India. He is pursuing a dual degree in BBA and MSBA. He is a huge film enthusiast. Outside the Wheel, he is a SA in Dobbs Hall, Board member of Hindu Student Association, and a part of different business clubs.