The Emory men’s soccer team kicked off their season last night against the Oglethorpe University Stormy Petrels. While the Eagles were hoping to capitalize on what Head Coach Sonny Travis called a good preseason, the team’s first game resulted in a scoreless draw.

Pressuring their opponents’ goal will be one of the greatest challenges the team faces this season, according to Travis.

“Building the attack is what we need to improve, absolutely,” Travis said. “To gel in the attacking third, you need time and hard work.” He added that maintaining a consistent attack rarely happens in the beginning of the season. “The hardest part of the game in the early part [of the season] is to build the attack.”

The Eagles only three shots on goal throughout the match were during the second overtime period.

While the offense was nothing to write home about, Travis was pleased with the defensive play of the team. “Our team played really well defensively. We were very organized,” Travis said.

Although Travis felt the game represented a solid defensive effort, he believes the play of sophomore defensive midfielder Jason McCartney, as well as the teams back line, was especially strong.

Senior goalkeeper Abe Hannigan stood out as well, recording his 18th career shutout. Hannigan is one of nine seniors that Travis expects to contribute as leaders this year.

“Our leadership is really good; we are on the right track after a good preseason,” Travis said. The guys [are working] hard, and our expectations are high for this season.”

The team will play at the Sonny Carter Invitational this weekend, hosting St. Joseph’s College on Saturday and Denison University on Sunday, — both at 2 p.m.