The No. 1-ranked NCAA Division III Emory men’s golf team finished in second place out of 15 teams at the Wynlakes Intercollegiate held on April 1 and 2. The 36-hole tournament was played on a 6,979-yard, par-72 course at the Wynlakes Golf and Country Club in Montgomery, Ala.

The Eagles scored 583 over the two-day tournament, finishing eight strokes behind No. 2-ranked Huntingdon College (Ala.) (289-286-575). Guilford College (N.C.) earned third place with a mark of 590 (296-294).

Huntingdon and Emory have been battling in tournaments all year, and Head Coach John Sjoberg said that Huntingdon got the best out of the Eagles this time.

“Three guys played really well,” Sjoberg said. “ [Freshman] Logan [Ryan] and [senior] Connor Yakubov struggled a little bit on the first day, and that put us in a hole that we couldn’t climb out of.”

Sophomore Eric Yiu and junior Matt Organisak both tied for second place in the 83-player field with scoring efforts of 143, which was one under par. That score put them just one stroke behind Huntingdon’s junior Drew Mathers (73-69-142).

Yiu said that the conditions were conducive to his play over the tournament.

“I was able to hit a lot of fairways,” Yiu said. “My iron game was at [its] best. I was able to hit 11 greens and seven birdies.”

Junior Sam Galloway posted a score of 148 (74-74), and Yakubov finished with 150 (80-70). Galloway tied for 12th while Yakubov finished in 19th. To round out the team score, Ryan placed in 53rd place with a score of 158 (79-79).

This week’s dual matchup against Centre College (Ky.) was cancelled due to inclement weather.

The golf team’s season will next play at the Emory Spring Invitational on April 20 and 21.