The Emory men’s basketball split a pair of games at home this weekend, falling to New York University (NY) 73 to 56, and defeating Brandeis University (Mass.) 66-58.

After starting the game strong and leading the first half at 34-30, the Eagles fell apart in the second. NYU nearly doubled Emory’s point total 43-22. The lone bright spot for the team was junior guard Jonathan Terry, who finished the game with 19 points on a seven of 15 shooting night. The only other Eagle in double figures was sophomore forward Adam Gigax, who finished the game with 13 points on five for 15 shooting.

The Eagles were destroyed on the glass, and that was a big reason why the team struggled in the second half. NYU pulled down 47 rebounds compared to only 26 for the Eagles. In addition to struggling on the boards, the team had a rough shooting night as well. Emory shot 20 for 64 from the field for an anemic 31.3 percent. Things weren’t better from behind the arc, where the Eagles shot 10 for 37, or 27 percent. NYU by comparison, shot above 50 percent from the field.

The team bounced back from their tough loss against NYU to beat Brandeis by a score of 66 to 58. Gigax provided a huge spark off the bench, as he scored 22 points, on an efficient eight for 16 shooting, to go with his eight rebounds. Senior forwards Davis Rao and Will Trawick also scored in double figures, with 11 and 14 points respectively.

The Eagles were able to fix their shooting and rebounding woes from their game against NYU. Emory shot 45.1 percent on 23 of 51 shooting, including 37 percent from three (seven for 19). In addition, the team outrebounded Brandeis by a 31 to 26 margin. Overall the game was a solid bounce back after a tough loss.

The men take the court again this weekend when they face Carnegie Mellon (Penn.) on Friday, Feb. 19 and Case Western Reserve (OH) on Sunday, Feb. 21.

Special Projects Editor | Jacob Durst is a Goizueta Business School junior from Dallas, Texas double majoring in business and political science. He has been a big sports fan as long as he can remember, and his teams are the Houston Rockets, Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys. He also wants to throw out there that Sports is the best section.