A few days ago, I read a tweet referring to the eighth track of Megan Thee Stallion’s first full-length studio album, “Good News”: “No thoughts just BODYODYODYODYODYODYODYODY.” The tweet perfectly summed up my thoughts on the album, full of catchy choruses and relatively simple production that presents itself as complex. Few artists have burst into the music scene in the last few years like Megan. Known for her sexual lyrics and brashness, which manifests both in her music and her public persona, Megan’s staples include hi-hats, ad-libs, big-name features  and fiery, sexually charged verses that assert her confidence. “Good News” is an imperturbable album that places Megan at the center of music and pop culture.

Megan opens the album with a statement intended to set the record straight and clear the way for the rest of the tracks. “Shots Fired” responds to a July 2020 altercation with rapper Tory Lanez, when Lanez shot Megan in the foot. Megan was treated in a hospital, pressed charges against Lanez and wrote a call to action in The New York Times about the way Black women are treated and society’s failure to protect them. “Shot Down” serves as Megan’s final call-out toward Lanez, as she raps over a simple yet high, melodic beat, embodying the public’s curiosity of the situation. Megan raps with conviction, knowing that her lyrics are truthful and brazenly directed at Lanez, establishing a prominent theme of self-assurance for the rest of the album.

Megan raps about several topics on “Good News,” but most notably about independence, money and sex. With the release of Cardi B’s “WAP” in August, Cardi and Megan laid the groundwork for songs about sex as a symbol of female empowerment, ushering in “Good News.” While most of the backing tracks are seemingly identical in their relative simplicity (hi-hats, heavy bass), they’re made distinct by Megan’s lyrics and hooks. Notedly, “Sugar Baby” incorporates an upbeat 8-bit hook that makes the song catchy. Add in lyrics like “I’m already rich but I’m still trying to get richer” and “you want to see my nails when they’re done, pay for ‘em” and this song makes you smile and bop along to the beat — Megan isn’t only hyping herself up, she’s also hyping up her fans.

Megan Thee Stallion at the Hollywood Palladium, L.A. in December 2019. (Wikimedia Commons/Alfred Marroquin)

The album’s features quickly prove to be hit or miss. When Megan’s clever ad-libs correspond to a feature, it adds to the track’s charisma. Songs like “Freaky Girls” (featuring SZA) or “Cry Baby” (featuring DaBaby), pair the features’ confidence, with Megan’s creativity and set the tracks apart as “hot girl anthems.” In one ad-lib, Megan notes, “that ain’t DaBaby, that’s my baby.” This line underscores the track by distinguishing the feature, as well as the song’s theme of jealousy. Conversely, Lil Durk and Young Thug’s respective features on their tracks are unmemorable.

Megan wraps up the album with “Savage Remix” featuring Beyonce, the original track from her EP “Suga,” released earlier this year. Both artists are from Houston and make sure to remind their audience of their H-town roots with the intro and ad-libs throughout the track. Beyonce’s feature adds what was missing from the original track: another strong female voice with an established reputation that only emphasizes the power of Megan’s production.

I can’t go without mentioning the song’s wildfire spread on TikTok, which has been used in 29.5 million videos on the app as of Dec. 2. Megan uses TikTok to promote her songs, and even created a hashtag and dance for users focused on “Body,” the eighth track that focuses on celebrating all bodies.

Even though Megan’s lyrics and ad-libs might initially make you squirm, there comes a point when you accept the sexually explicit lyrics and clever, humorous metaphors. This is the point where you realize every song on “Good News” is a “hot girl anthem” to blast when alone in the car, with your friends or when you need to feel as bold as Hot Girl Meg. Her lyrics paint a consistent self-portrait: she’s independent, self-made and has earned her rightful place among female rappers and the hip hop world.

Grade: ★★★★

Multimedia Editor | + posts

Chief of Digital Operations | cchinn@emory.edu
Cailen Chinn (22C) is from Boulder, Colorado and double majoring in film & media management and French. Aside from being the Wheel's jack-of-all-trades, she is a member of Emory's varsity swim team. She prides herself in her taste in music and her coffee addiction (which she documents on her Instagram account, @cailendrinkscoffee).