To our readers, 

We write to you to announce an exciting change in our operations. 

After discussions with our Arts & Entertainment and Emory Life editors, as well as with our Board of Editors, we have made the decision to combine the Arts & Entertainment and Emory Life sections into an Arts & Life section. We believe that merging these sections will help unite and strengthen these two areas of our coverage. 

In past years, the Emory Life section has struggled to retain writers, limiting our ability to adequately cover the Emory University community and student life within this section. Additionally, the scope of Emory Life’s coverage has shifted each year, causing confusion over which content falls under this section. 

This merge will allow the Wheel to expand its Arts & Entertainment section’s coverage to be more specific to the Emory community rather than the section’s recent focus on predominantly covering national and mainstream art. The combination of this section with Emory Life content, which includes profiles of interesting Emory community members and event coverage, will help strengthen this Emory focus and cut down on confusion about how our content should be categorized.

The Wheel will continue to feature members of the Emory community and cover student programming and University events. This coverage will now be split between the Arts & Life and News sections. 

In the coming weeks, you can expect to see a new tab on our website for the Arts & Life section. We will also be hiring two section editors to manage the new section at our staff turnover in the spring. Until then, the four editors currently managing Arts & Entertainment and Emory Life will oversee this new combined section. 

Thank you for your continued readership and for placing your trust in the Wheel’s reporting. In addition to making our internal operations run smoother, we hope this change will benefit our readership by expanding our coverage of arts, life and culture on Emory’s campuses. 

Please feel free to contact us at emorywheelexec@gmail.com with any questions, comments or concerns.

Sincerely,

Matthew Chupack & Sarah Davis, Editors-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.

Sarah Davis (22Ox, 24C) is a co-Editor-in-Chief of the Wheel. Previously, she interned with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The Covington News and Austin Monthly Magazine. In her free time, you can find her exploring new running trails and coffee shops around the city.