Dear Editor,

The appropriate and compassionate care of sexual assault survivors is an important priority for Emory University Student Health Services (EUSHS) and Emory University as a whole. Thank you for shining a light on this topic for our students and community at large. However, I am writing to ensure that accurate information is being disseminated to our community, starting with the fact that EUSHS is not offering “SANE rape kits.”  Although we do have a SANE nurse in training at EUSHS, we do not have any plans at this time to provide SANE nurse care for sexual assault survivors or offer rape kits at EUSHS.

Most importantly, the expanding Office of Health Promotion’s Respect Program is an invaluable resource for sexual assault survivors. Trained advocates are available 24/7 through the Office of Respect Hotline (470-270-5360) where students can access assistance with navigating the appropriate resources. At this time, comprehensive care is primarily offered by The Family Protection Center in Tucker, Ga.  

SANE nurses are incredibly valuable due to their training in sexual assault response, but they are not the only avenue by which we can assist these victims. Our ideal goal would be to have a sexual assault response team in place which could include SANE nurses, advocates and other providers. However, we are very early in our discussions with EUH and other partners across the University to reassess and improve these services. We are very committed to improving access and care in this realm.

I know that the Wheel is very interested in disseminating up-to-date and correct information to the Emory community on this topic. I look forward to continuing to work with the Wheel to provide updates when available on enhancements or additions to our sexual assault programs.

Sincerely,
Sharon Rabinovitz, MD, Interim Assistant Vice President and Executive Director, Student Health Services