Imagine volunteering to perform at the biggest rap music festival in the world just to have people in the audience throw water bottles at you. Well, Kid Cudi doesn’t have to. Earlier this year, the Cleveland-based artist performed at Rolling Loud but soon left the stage after multiple people threw water bottles during his set. This comes after Cudi’s very public falling-out with longtime collaborator and friend, Ye. Without a doubt, the ‘Cudster’ has had a tumultuous year. However, there have been some bright spots, particularly with the release of his eighth studio album, ‘Entergalactic.’

Released on Sept. 30, “Entergalactic” is arguably Cudi’s most versatile and dynamic album yet. Along with the album, Cudi produced and directed an animated series also entitled “Entergalactic” whose first episode premiered with the new album.  “Entergalactic” contains all the essentials of a classic Cudi soundtrack while also introducing a new, futuristic sound. 

The album begins with “Entergalactic Theme,” an instrumental score with a synth-filled melody that gives listeners a preview of the dream-like music to come. The following songs are replete with Cudi’s tried-and-true signature elements, like his heavenly humming and a steady, head-bopping beat. The third track, “Do What I Want,” has quickly become a fan-favorite, with over 12 million streams on Spotify, most likely due to this traditional Cudi sound. “Ignite The Love”’ is another track that fans of Cudi’s album “Indicud” would enjoy because of its guitar-heavy melody and indie undertones.  

The fourth song, “Angel,” is the first time we hear the experimental direction of Cudi’s music. Instead of the usual rhythmic and textured sound, there is the absence of a beat and a lethargic tempo. The slowness of “Angel” contrasted with the other upbeat, instrument-heavy songs in “Entergalactic” creates a more dynamic experience for the listener; it feels like one person’s stillness in the midst of a large, chaotic crowd. “Maybe So” is another track that has a legato tempo and reinforces Cudi’s deviation from his usual fast-paced music. Halfway through “Maybe So” a violin takes over the melody, producing a softer, lighter tone. The song represents another shift in Cudi’s sound because most of his songs were guitar or piano-heavy in the past. Taken together, these two songs help alter the pace of the album and offer a surprising and refreshing change for longtime Cudi listeners.

Courtesy of Wicked Awesome Records.

Though Cudi is referred to as a “rapper,” his music does not necessarily fit into the traditional rap genre, given his frequent use of alternative-rock melodies and flows. In an interview with Complex back in 2010, Cudi himself even publicly stated, “I don’t look at myself as a rapper; I look at myself as an artist.” However, he uses “Entergalactic” as an opportunity to engage those who may only listen to classic rap music through collaborating with rappers like 2 Chainz, Don Toliver and, most notably, Ty Dolla $ign.  In “Willing To Trust,” Ty Dolla $ign’s soulful vocals are woven throughout the chorus and supply a spiritual element to the song, adding dimensionality to the album and highlighting the liminality of Cudi’s music.

I could not conclude this review without mentioning my favorite song from the album, and one of Cudi’s most powerful songs in recent years. “In Love” starts off mellow, with a dystopian-like melody filled with suspense and trepidation combined with an unassuming beat. At around the 40-second mark, Cudi’s angelic hums make an appearance while the background sound begins to crescendo. The song comes to a climax at one minute in, when Cudi starts belting out the pre-chorus and the beat finally crescendos. Cudi’s voice during this part parallels the angsty, raw and impassioned tone in the chorus of one of his most beloved songs “Mr. Rager.” The pre-chorus of “In Love” is perhaps Cudi’s most vulnerable moment in all of “Entergalactic.” He sings, “Speedin’ by, hope I don’t hit the walls … I will wait and I’ll wait for you.” Though these lyrics are about a love interest, they hold even more meaning as the word “Speedin’” may be a reference to one of Cudi’s older albums “Speedin’ Bullet 2 Heaven.” Cudi tweeted that this alternative album was a “cry for help” described amidst his struggles with mental health and feeling misunderstood. In this likely reference to this deeply personal and unfiltered album, “In Love” takes on a much greater significance.

Overall, Kid Cudi’s “Entergalactic” fuses his old and new sound to craft a supernal and multifaceted album. While it may not have the starpower of “Man On The Moon,” “Entergalactic” underscores the innovative and prolific mind of Kid Cudi. As Cudi moves into television and the entertainment space, fans can only hope that he continues to make extraordinary, restorative and impactful music.

Gracie Evans (she/her) (25C) is from Los Angeles, California, majoring in comparative literature and dance and movement studies. When she is not in the studio, you can find her reading, listening to Kid Cudi or watching Inside the NBA on TNT.