Creative Commons/ tedeytan

LGBTQ rights are under attack. Last week, 387 out of 389 legislators in Uganda’s Parliament backed a bill proposing the death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality,” an intentionally nebulous term that will be weaponized against LGBTQ Ugandans if President Yoweri Museveni codifies the bill into law. This recent development in Uganda is only a small part of the global trend of antiquated, homophobic and transphobic legislation.

The country of Brunei implemented a law in 2019 that would punish same-sex relationships by stoning or whipping offenders, and Poland has seen a rise in anti-LGBTQ policies and sentiments, designating about a third of the country as “LGBT-free zones” in 2019. Hungary has also passed a series of laws that restrict the rights of its LGBTQ citizens to gender-affirming care. 

Despite condemnations from many human rights organizations and the European Union, the Hungarian and Polish governments have maintained their anti-LGBTQ stances in the name of protecting children alongside the traditional and heterocentric family values in the country. All these countries’ abhorrent violations of individual freedom have been codified into law in just the last five years.

As we live in the bubble of a socially progressive university, however, it can be easy to forget that similar anti-LGBTQ developments have been taking place right on our own doorstep. In the past few months, our neighboring states Tennessee and Florida have cracked down on LGBTQ rights, with Tennessee moving to institute a drag ban on March 26 under the guise of protecting children by prohibiting “adult cabaret performances” — including “male or female impersonators” — from taking place in public. Meanwhile, Florida’s notorious “Don’t Say Gay” law, which was passed on March 7, will likely be expanded to affect high schools. Both laws heavily restrict the freedom of LGBTQ Americans, forcing them to hide themselves in public and academic contexts.

But homophobia has even been on the rise in our own state of Georgia. Governor Brian Kemp (R-Ga.) signed Georgia House Bill 1084 into law earlier this month. This bill outlaws gender-affirming care for transgender youth in Georgia, similar to Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” law. Furthermore, Georgia does not provide statewide protection for discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. In fact, a report published in the California Law Review in 2018 shows that LGBTQ people in Georgia are more likely to be mistreated by the criminal justice system and face disproportionate discrimination while in the foster care system or in custody.

While it is important to understand these events individually, they must also be seen as manifestations of a disturbing global trend of rising anti-minority sentiment. Even the United States and the European Union, government bodies that pride themselves on promoting the advancement of human rights, are failing to protect their LGBTQ citizens.

The worldwide increase in anti-LGBTQ sentiments and subsequent legal changes raise important questions of how to tackle issues such as homophobia, transphobia and other forms of discrimination. While citizens may not be able to directly impact the laws of countries around the world, they do have a say in their own. Students around the United States have already contributed to various forms of protest against the “Don’t Say Gay” law and its extensions, and international organizations such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have advocated strongly against them on a global scale.

Furthermore, as an institution of higher learning, Emory University is a model for schools around the country, especially in the South. Academia should be a safe place, and students throughout the country deserve to feel comfortable being themselves in educational environments. Emory is a leader not just in academic output but in educational policy, and thus owes it to students around the world to take a firm stand against the anti-LGBTQ legislation that has crept its way into the South. Students can stay updated on Georgia’s laws through websites provided on Emory’s LGBTQ webpage, such as the Humans Rights Campaign and Lambda Legal, and advocate for the University to expand its resources supporting LGBTQ students.

University President Gregory Fenves tweeted a photo of him standing beside Kemp in August 2020 with the caption, “Enjoyed meeting with @GovKemp so soon after moving here, and we talked about great ideas on working together for Georgia and students.” While this tweet does not directly mean that Fenves has a close affiliation with politicians like Kemp, it is a larger signal of our University’s potential to affect local state government.

It appears that Fenves’ efforts to work “together for Georgia and students” with Kemp have not sufficiently taken Emory’s LGBTQ students and their needs into consideration. In order to preserve Emory’s position as a role model for Southern universities and advocate on behalf of LGBTQ students across the country, the University must issue a public statement that condemns anti-LGBTQ legislation and proposes tangible ways to protect LGBTQ students when the state falls short.

Complacency is dangerous, as progress can always be undone. LGBTQ complacency refers to a phenomenon in which members of the LGBTQ community and their allies become satisfied with the progress that has been made for LGBTQ rights and representation. This leads to a decrease in active and vocal support for these rights and can lead to a backslide of achieving full and everlasting equality for the LGBTQ community.

It is important to remember that the fight for LBGTQ rights is an omnipresent, turbulent struggle. Although there has been notable progress in the past few years, there is still a long way to go. To combat complacency, it is crucial for individuals to stay informed, involved and engaged in the discussion and advocacy of LGBTQ rights and equality.

The above editorial represents the majority opinion of the Wheel’s Editorial Board. The Editorial Board is composed of Isabelle Bellott-McGrath, Evelyn Cho, Ellie Fivas, Marc Goedemans, Elyn Lee, Saanvi Nayar, Shruti Nemala, Nushrat Nur and Sara Perez.