Engage Others, Don’t Dismiss

“Emory College Republicans have reverted to endorsing and propagating racism. … They stoke division and accomplish nothing.” “To everyone who supports this, feel free to block me.” These are just some of the many ad hominem attacks that my peers and I have encountered as members of the Emory College Republicans before our invited speaker, [...]

Read More

Don’t Show Up For Hostility

I’m disappointed that Heather Mac Donald’s appearance on Emory’s campus last week drew a crowd of over 100 Emory students. For comparison, a comparable controversial appearance in 2017 by former Georgia state Rep. Earl Erhart (R-Powder Springs) drew similar numbers of attendees at Emory, while recent Emory speakers like Democratic U.S. Senate Candidates, a White [...]

Read More

Campus Diversity Matters

In 2017, I attended the “Essence of Emory” program, which markets Emory’s “diverse” campus to prospective students from underrepresented backgrounds and convinces them to enroll. I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively vast racial diversity here, which was important to me as a black woman coming from a predominantly white high school.  I never expected [...]

Read More

Despite Mac Donald’s Invective, You Belong at Emory

“You belong here.” In my time at Emory, I have never been explicitly told those words, but I have most certainly felt them in nearly everything I do. Whether it’s Monday night staff meetings with my fellow resident advisers in Woodruff, run-ins at Kaldi’s with friends I haven’t seen since last semester or my favorite [...]

Read More

Students, Go Tell Your Story

Heather Mac Donald makes money from every problematic and triggering speech. It’s her shtick, and considering how well it’s worked for her so far, I don’t think she plans to change any time soon. That being said, nothing negates her language’s roots in bigoted and oppressive ideas that disproportionately impact marginalized people, even if they [...]

Read More
  • 1
  • 2