To the Editor:

After the announcement made by the always hard-working SPC this past week to bring in the Eli Young Band for Fall Band Party, I have been severely disappointed by the Emory Community. Monday’s staff editorial at the Wheel claimed the entire genre of country music was “divisive and polarizing”. This seemed to go right along with complaints and questions I have heard from other students about the choice to bring country music to the campus.

My question for you is this: did you listen to the Eli Young Band before you formed your opinion? Or did you just see the word “country” and stick with some unfounded stereotype?

Country music is one of the most popular genres of music in the States. In 2011, almost 43 million country albums were sold. The genre has a long history in this part of the country as well, and many of us who are locals grew up listening to it.

Emory University, as a top national university, should always wish to foster an environment that encourages diversity. Already, the atmosphere created by the folks at the Wheel and others in the community is doubtful, scornful, and nearing hostile. If, after the concert, the community decides that bringing country music to campus was a disaster, then so be it. But, please, give the Eli Young Band a chance.

Tolerance cannot be selective.

Alexander Heideman

Emory College 

Class of 2015