Emory University announced that its gathering risk meter will move into the “yellow zone” from the “orange zone” on April 5 in a Monday email from Associate Vice President and Executive Director for COVID-19 Response and Recovery Amir St. Clair. 

The University’s operating condition status is influenced by COVID-19 prevalence, testing capacity and available personal protective equipment, demand for health care services, contract tracing capabilities and available isolation and quarantine locations, St. Clair explained. 

Gathering limits will relax starting April 5 to allow indoor events with up to 35 people for a maximum of 90 minutes. Outdoor events can host 50 people maximum. The updated policy applies to on and off-campus events. 

Adaptations made to Emory’s campus to fight COVID-19. (Caelan Bailey)

Currently, all events require a faculty sponsor to be present during the event. The email stated that the necessity for a sponsor will be up to the “discretion of the event sponsor,” starting April 5. 

The outdoor pool, tennis courts, sand volleyball court and outdoor basketball court at the Student Activity and Academic Center (SAAC) on the Clairmont campus will also reopen on April 5. Recreational and fitness centers will remain on an appointment-only basis, available to all onboarded students who complete required COVID-19 screening tests. 

Emory Athletics on the Atlanta campus will resume home competitions, but no spectators are permitted. 

University-sponsored domestic travel will recommence for students, faculty and staff traveling for research, scholarship or business. Class-related travel within a 250 mile radius is also permitted.  

Dining will remain to-go with some indoor socially-distanced eating areas available, including the Emory Student Center Multi-Purpose Room on the Atlanta campus and the Oxford Dining Hall and Oxford Student Center on the Oxford campus. 

Despite the eased restrictions on gathering policies and recreational centers, St. Clair said that Emory community members are still expected to follow COVID-19 safety protocols including wearing face coverings and maintaining social distance. 

Editor-in-Chief | Matthew Chupack (he/him, 24C) is from Northbrook, Illinois, majoring in sociology & religion and minoring in community building & social change on a pre-law track. Outside of the Wheel, Chupack serves on the Emory College Honor Council, is vice president of Behind the Glass: Immigration Reflections, Treasurer of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society and an RA in Dobbs Hall. In his free time, he enjoys trying new restaurants around Atlanta, catching up on pop culture news and listening to country music.