Emory has canceled all intramural programming for the rest of the spring semester and is working to refund payments made for spring semester tournaments, according to a campus-wide email sent by the Emory Intramural Sports office. The remaining scheduled tournaments for the semester were volleyball, softball, kickball, and futsal tournaments.

Future hours of operation for campus athletic facilities will be communicated on Emory’s Recreation and Wellness webpage, according to the email.

Emory on Thursday canceled all intercollegiate competitions and activities for the rest of the spring semester, following the cancellation of all remaining NCAA winter and spring championships earlier in the day.

“This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities,” the NCAA announcement reads.

Emory faculty Carlos Del Rio, the chair of the Hubert Department of Global Health at the Rollins School of Public Health and Colleen Kraft, the associate chief medical officer at Emory University Hospital serve on the NCAA’s COVID-19 advisory committee.

The NCAA previously announced that the NCAA Basketball tournaments would be played without spectators in attendance. The Division I NCAA Basketball tournament was set to start on March 17 and the Final Four and Championship rounds of the competition were to be played in Atlanta.  The Division III NCAA Basketball tournaments began on March 6. The Emory men’s basketball team lost to Pomona-Pitzer in the second round of the tournament on March 7.