As we get older, our brains start to deteriorate and we may eventually suffer from memory loss. Learning how to improve memory can keep your mind sharp longer.

Do you ever look back to your adolescence and young adulthood and marvel at how many things you could remember and memorize?

From school material to phone numbers, from knowing all of your friends’ birthdays by heart to remembering all the lines at your high school play, your memory did seem pretty impressive.

Now you’re getting a bit older and have started to forget things — nothing major, and maybe also due to stress or tiredness. Still, you would like to know how to improve memory at your age, which will in turn reduce your chances of experiencing memory loss and allow you to keep a sharp mind as you’re aging.

Read on and you’ll find out the best tricks to achieve this.

Sleep on It

Let’s begin with something (hopefully) simple: to improve your memory, you should make sure to get enough sleep.

Research has shown that sleeping, as well as taking a nap, before learning something new has a huge, positive effect on memorization.

There you go: if you needed an excuse to grab a few extra hours of kip, now you have a great one.

Music to Your Ears

Another wonderful and effortless tip on how to improve memory comes from the world of the seven notes.

Listening to and playing music, in particular classical music, can help to strengthen memories. This happens because memories related to music are stored in the same part of the brain that stores habit-related memories.

Sit down, relax, and put your favorite tracks on.

Meditate to Memorize

Practicing meditation daily has several amazing effects on our brains and bodies. Yet, not many people are aware that it can also aid our memory.

How? Studies discovered that meditation increases the production of gray matter in our brain, a substance that naturally decreases as we get older. This, eventually, leads to cognitive problems such as dementia and other types of memory loss.

The more gray matter our brains produce now, the better our memory will be in the future. So, find a quiet spot in your house, close your eyes, and begin your daily commitment to meditation.

Train Your Brain, Improve Your Memory

Now for something which requires a bit more effort on your part: brain training. How does it work? Well, think about it as you would a traditional gym training regime to build muscle and stay in good, healthy shape.

Except, of course, the exercises you perform are mental rather than physical ones. A classic example is playing fun games such as crosswords, Tetris, and word-related games. Doyouremember.com has plenty of great quizzes, riddles, and guesses to help you boost your memory by testing how well you remember and recognize pop icons from the last few decades.

If you’re a bit more tech-savvy, you can download one of the many brain training apps that are currently very popular with smartphone users. As little as 15 minutes a day can have a significantly positive impact on your memory in the long run.

The Lowdown on How to Improve Memory

Now that we have given you some great tips on how to improve memory, you can feel more confident in the knowledge that your mind will stay sharp and focused even as you get older.

Did you enjoy reading this article? Come find even more awesome content on our website!