A senior in a social science course was found responsible for plagiarism. The professor reported that the student’s work on two written assignments was more advanced than her previous work, and it was found that much of her work was copied from online articles. In an expedited hearing, the student took responsibility and acknowledged that she plagiarized from an online source. Due to the direct and extensive plagiarism of multiple assignments, the Honor Council recommended the standard sanction of an F in the course, a one-year Honor Code probation and an educational program. 

A sophomore in a humanities course was found responsible for unauthorized assistance and providing false information on a homework assignment. The professor reported that two students submitted identical work on an assignment that asked for person-specific information. In a full hearing, the student reported that he had forgotten about the homework assignment, so he used a photo of another student’s work to complete his own. Due to the insignificant value of the assignment, the Honor Council recommended a sanction of a zero on the assignment, a one-letter grade deduction, a one-year Honor Code probation and an educational program. This sanction was upheld on appeal. 

A senior in an upper-level science course was reported for plagiarism and unauthorized assistance on a homework assignment. There were significant similarities between the student’s work and that of other classmates. The investigation revealed the student mistakenly saved their assignment to a public area of the online course submission several days before others. One classmate admitted to finding the reported student’s work and using it to complete their own. Because the evidence clearly indicated the student was not involved in academic misconduct, the case was dismissed.