Addiction recovery is a lifelong journey. And those struggling with addiction or substance use disorder understand the importance of addiction counselling or therapies. People who feel depressed, distressed, or experience overwhelming feelings find therapies helpful. One of these therapies that help people receive guidance from fellow members and build a connection with them is group therapy.

Group therapy in substance use disorder is a practise where a professionally trained therapist treats more than one individual using interventions based on psychological principles. The support groups offer a magnitude of advantages, such as the development of social support, the ability to share information, the feeling of togetherness, and the ability to learn from others. These advantages ensure that people don’t feel less alone or isolated in their issues with addiction.

Also, substance abuse groups or group therapy provided at rehab provide thousands of different group therapy activities for adults to indulge all the patients. Here are ten of them:

1. Introducing New Members

It is one of the most common group activities for substance use disorder practised in every other drug or alcohol rehab. In this activity, the new group member explains why they are here and what they expect from group therapy. However, the other activity typically includes discussions of group member’s personal issues, suggestions on issue handling, and input and advice from the therapist. Also, this activity goes on even when a member leaves the group. And on their farewell, they explain and discuss how they benefitted from the group, express their gratitude, and discuss their plans for the future.

2. Discuss Mental Health

Most people suffering from addiction tend to experience certain psychological conditions, such as anxiety, depression, and stress. Hence, group therapy allows individuals to discuss their struggles and experiences with fellow members and how they cope and overcome their addictions. Though this activity is highly beneficial, it commonly leads to a discussion of triggers.

3. Develop Basic Skills

Group members often work together to develop essential skills, such as deep breathing, meditation, visualisation, progressive relaxation, etc. The therapists direct these skills in the group setting so members can discuss their experiences proactively. It also helps individuals refine their skill set taught in substance use disorder treatment.

4. Reflect on Requests and Questions

Another ongoing activity in substance abuse groups is that individuals have to bring up their specific requests, questions, or needs, and the rest of the group members reflect on them. For example, the most commonly discussed issues among the group members include frustrations with treatment, relationship problems, the temptation to relapse or an actual relapse under the therapist’s guidance.

5. Discuss Recovery Beliefs

Discussing recovery beliefs allows group members to understand their own beliefs. Individuals discuss where they stand in terms of their own recovery journey, what they have accomplished, and where they want to reach in the future. As a result, other participants of the group and the therapist share their feedback on these issues.

6. Discuss Communication Difficulties

Groups often spend a lot of time discussing issues that relate to communication. Hence, the common activity in substance use disorder groups is a discussion among individuals about language and how it affects their thinking and behaviours. These discussions also determine the types of words that commonly trigger or are associated with one’s substance use disorder. At times, therapists also discuss the impact of words on recovery. For example, expressing or thinking about things can enhance or limit an individual’s recovery program.

7. Discussion of Triggers

Group members are also encouraged to discuss their triggers and how they can identify them as a part of substance use disorder treatment. Individuals also share how they experience these triggers and their potential plans to deal with them.

8. Discussing Self-Care

Self-care practise is essential to addiction recovery or for those looking for drug or alcohol help. For example, individuals can make a list of critical self-care habits, such as:

• Building a solid support system
  • Eating healthy foods
  • Getting enough sleep
  • Getting regular physical activity
  • Limiting time on social media
  • Drinking plenty of water

The group members can then discuss which habits are helpful and what they need to adopt for successful recovery.

Group Activities to the Rescue!

In addition to these activities, the group members should also discuss current issues and get feedback from every group member. Discussing individual concerns and asking for advice and help from others allow people to prevent relapse and maintain long-term sobriety. Also, indulging in group therapy activities for adults helps them develop new and life-long bonds with one another. Hence, if you need alcohol help or know someone who needs to address their addiction, find the nearest alcohol rehab to access group activities and other treatment programs for successful recovery.