The golf team finished in fifth place out of 12 teams in the two-day, 54-hole Gordin Classic, held on Monday and Tuesday. All twelve teams competing were ranked in the top 25 nationally.

The tournament was played at the Columbus Country Club in Columbus, Ohio, a par 72 course measuring 7,006 yards.

“The team played well,” Head Coach John Sjoberg said. “Alex, David, and Johnathan all played well. We need more consistent play 1-5 to get better. A fifth place finish was good, but we need to continue to improve next week at Royal Lakes.”

Emory finished the tournament with a combined team score of 889. Wittenberg University (OH) won the tournament overall by shooting a combined score of 868.

The Eagles started well, placing fifth after the 36 holes played on day one by posting a score of 591. They were able to maintain their fifth place position by shooting a final round of 298 over the 18 holes played on day two.

Sophomore Alex Wunderlich finished in a tie for ninth overall, shooting a 2- over 218. He posted rounds of 69 and 73 on the first day, and 76 on the second day.

Senior David Collura finished in 15th place individually with a combined score of 6 over 222, after shooting 75 and 72 on the first day and 75 on the second day.

“Personally, I played an okay tournament,” Collura said. “I was proud of myself making it through 36 holes the first day with a sinus infection and staying focused, even though I wasn’t playing to my ability.”

Junior Jonathan Chen finished in a tie for 16th with a combined score of 223, shooting 78 and 74 on the first day, and shooting 71 on the second day, which was the best score by any Emory golfer on that day.

Junior Will Roth finished in a tie for 41st with a score of 230, while junior Alec Berens finished in a tie for 45th with a combined score of 231.

The fifth place finish by the Emory Golf Team was a solid outcome considering the amount of talent playing in this tournament.

“We played a good tournament,” Collura said. “Our fifth place finish does not do our play justice, as this was arguably one of the strongest fields we play all semester. We obviously are not satisfied with the result, but it was not a bad finish either.”

The team will next compete on October 8, at the Oglethorpe Invitational at Royal Lakes Golf Club in Flowery Branch, Georgia.

Until then, the team will be preparing for the course.

– By Brian Chavkin