Walk the Atlanta BeltLine

Originating from a Georgia Tech student’s masters’ thesis, the Atlanta’s BeltLine is a series of mixed-use trails along the old railroads in the city. It’s a great way to do some urban nature hiking, and there’s protection with the new BeltLine police force. The Eastside trail, which runs from Inman Park to Midtown, is the most popular trail, with constant runners and bikers. Be sure to also check out other often-overlooked scenic parts like the Northside trail near Collier Hills or the more hiker-friendly West End trail southwest of the Atlanta University Center. It’s a great way to get some scenic exercise, especially with the changing Art on the Atlanta BeltLine exhibits.

Try a New Neighborhood for Nightlife

Sure, you could go to Maggie’s. But try some other parts of Atlanta for exciting off-campus adventures. Virginia Highland is the closest fun neighborhood to Emory, with some cool bars like beloved Hand in Hand, and Blind Willie’s, an (inexpensive!) jazz club. But keep south on Briarcliff/Moreland Ave. and you’ll hit East Atlanta Village, one of the best neighborhoods for local music. The Earl and 529 almost always have something great going on, but they’re both 21+ (sorry, freshmen – check out the Basement instead, which has a lot of 18+ nights). And adjacent to downtown, Edgewood Ave. in vibrant Old Fourth Ward is perfect for bar hopping. Check out Church (the bar!), Mother and Noni’s for drinks, or if you’re looking for music, try the Sound Table. And they’re all within walking distance from each other!

Grab Some Coffee and Get Some Work Done!

Jazzman’s and the Woodruff Library are great, but sometimes it’s nice to get a change of atmosphere. Be the cliché college student by supporting your local coffee shops. Steady Hand may be gone, but drive south on Clifton Rd. to get your caffeine fix at Dr. Bombay’s Underwater Tea Party, a cutesy, quiet tea and coffee store lined with bookshelves, with a serene outdoor patio in the back. Java Monkey in Decatur has some great food options along with organic coffee, although the internet can be a bit spotty. And of course, quirky Little Five Points provides some of the best joe in the city with Aurora Coffee and Java Lords, the latter of which has a pretty wicked satanic mural in the back.

Get a Different Movie Experience

Whether it’s for afternoons with friends or dates with that special someone, the movies are a dependable good time. If you’re looking for some ridiculously comfortable film-watching, Phipps Plaza in Buckhead provides huge, plushy chairs to sink down in at a pretty reasonable student price. For the offbeat cinephiles, try the independent and historic Plaza Theatre, which is accessible by the MARTA #6 bus, or Landmark Midtown Art Cinema, which is great if you want to grab drinks nearby after the show. But the Starlight Six Drive-In offers the coolest movie-watching in the city. For $7 per person (cash only!), you get a double-feature, a hip 50s experience and perhaps the best environment to make a move on a first date.

Bowl Your Heart Out

The shoes may smell kind of fishy and the music may be cheesy, but it’s worth the adrenaline rush when you hit that strike! Midtown Bowl’s great for a classic feel (though it gets crowded at night), Metro Lanes and Games in south ATL for cosmic bowling or FunTime Bowl on Buford Highway for cheap weekday fun. But the best deal in town by far is Suburban Lanes’ College Thursdays; from 9 p.m to 12 a.m., it’s $1 a game and $1 for shoe rentals. Can’t beat that!