This article was originally published on Jan. 19, 1971

Sex discrimination in the Emory College admissions policy was eliminated by a vote of the College Faculty Monday afternoon. Next year’s freshman class will be selected without regard to sex, a departure from the present ratio of two males to one female.

The question then arose as to what sexual breakdown would randomly occur with the implementation of the new policy. Bert Carroll, Director of Admissions, answered, “assuming this year we admitted our freshman class solely on the basis of credentials, not taking into account sex, using last year’s yield: 42% of the men accepted, accepted Emory, and 38% of the women; we would enroll 348 men and 289 women for a total of 637. Now assuming that the Emory freshman class will be increased in its size this year, we could enroll, based on last year’s figures, using the same criteria for admission, 383 men and 311 women for a total of 694.”

Dr. Hudson of Educational Studies, summed up the sentiment of many people when he stated, “It seems to me that this is the case where there is clearly and essentially one question; Is this policy discriminatory or not? It seems to me that it is perfectly clear that it is discriminatory, nobody has argued that it isn’t.” 

Dean Stephens then presented a different type of argument in the very practical and influential language of finance. 

Dean Stephens said, “At this time of economic str[i]ngency, and quite honestly, we need money, I have said to the University that we will enroll 2425 students (fully qualified) for next fall.” 

“I have also said that we will do our best to increase this to 2500. In the past year or so, we have admitted all qualified (i.e., they are within admission standards) males.” 

“The pool of admissible applicants are female. We have been turning down admissible female students who are more than capable of meeting Emory’s standards. I[f] we are to continue to enroll in the College the number of students that we have room for, and we want to enroll, even this practically dictates a change in the ratio. I am in favor of it,” Dean Stephens concluded. 

The final result of the faculty decision was almost unanimous in its approval for the proposal, with only four dissenting votes.