standrews

Four College seniors were awarded the Robert T. Jones Jr. Scholarship for 2014-2015 last Saturday, providing a year of study at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.

The scholarship was awarded to College seniors Lauren Ball, a Mathematics and Physics and Astronomy double major; Rachel Cawkwell, an English major; Blake Mayes, a Religion major and Community Building and Social Change minor; and Fiona O’Carroll, a History and French double major.

The award, commonly known as the Bobby Jones Scholarship, was established in 1976 and recognizes individuals in the Emory community who exemplify the legacy of Bobby Jones, a professional golfer and Emory alum, according to the Bobby Jones website.

In addition to the four Emory students selected, the scholarship sends four students from St. Andrews to Emory for a full-paid year of study.

Of the original applicant pool of students who applied at Emory, 13 finalists were selected and interviewed and four were ultimately selected as recipients, according to Jane Walton-Williams, program administrator for the Bobby Jones scholarship.

Dee McGraw, director of National Scholarships and Fellowships wrote in an email to the Wheel that the scholars consistently represent the best Emory had to offer.

“It’s always a thrill –and always a surprise – to hear the Bobby Jones Scholarship announcement each year,” McGraw wrote. “The mix of students, with their diverse and widespread interests, is new with each class of scholars.”

Calkwell wrote in an email to the Wheel that the Bobby Jones Scholarship will enable her and her fellow scholars to serve as ambassadors of both Emory and the legacy of Bobby Jones.

“I know this will be an amazing cross-cultural experience that will allow me to learn about myself, my chosen subject and society,” Calkwell wrote. “I can’t wait to carry the Emory spirit with me to St. Andrews next year.”

Calkwell wrote that the scholarship is a continuation of her “amazing opportunities” she had during the past four years.

“At Emory I’ve gotten to really explore the liberal arts, taking classes as varied as Arthurian literature and environmental history, and I have learned so much outside of the classroom,” Calkwell wrote. “My professors have challenged and encouraged me, and my friends have inspired me to be a better person.”

Mayes, who will be studying Christian monastic tradition, is looking forward to the opportunity to grow academically and personally.

“At St. Andrews, I’m excited by the opportunity to study theology at one of the oldest divinity schools in the world,” Mayes wrote in an email to the Wheel. “I hope the year in Scotland will provide me with the space to discern next steps, make new friends and learn a lot about myself.”

Mayes also wrote that his time at Emory is one that he will remember and that has permanently positively impacted his life.

“Emory’s an amazing place where I’ve experienced incredibly transformative relationships with students, faculty and alumni,” Mayes wrote. “Simply by being a part of such a dynamic community, I know that I’ve grown and look forward to continuing this journey at St. Andrews.”

For Ball, the announcement of the award brought shock and excitement.

“I feel honored to be a part of such a wonderful program and I will do everything I can to live up to the high standard of this award,” Ball wrote in an email to the Wheel. “I also plan on playing for the St. Andrews basketball team and the Scottish National Team.”

O’Carroll was unable to be reached at press time.

Since the creation of the scholarship, the program has sent more than 250 students from Emory and St. Andrews abroad.

–By Stephen Fowler

Photo courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons

Stephen Fowler 16C is the political reporter at Georgia Public Broadcasting, the statewide NPR affiliate in Georgia. He graduated from Emory with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies and covered the central administration and Greek Life for the Wheel before serving as assistant news editor, Emory Life editor and the Executive Digital Editor from 2015-16.