Amicalola Falls State Lodge and Park

About 1.5 hours from the Atlanta campus lies Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge, a nature-lover’s dream turned into reality. “Amicalola” derives from the Cherokee language, meaning “tumbling waters,” a fitting title for the highest waterfall in Georgia, standing at 729 feet. Located in Dawsonville, Ga., the park offers many attractions for exploration. 

For those with an affinity for natural history and wild creatures, enjoy a one-hour guided hike that takes you straight up to the falls. The tour guide will reveal fascinating history about Amicalola and teach you about the fascinating species you pass on your journey. The park also features three other enchanting trails—the most notable being an eight-mile scenic loop on the Appalachian Trail that wraps around Amicalola Falls, with a destination of the Springer Mountain, ridden with rocky slopes and vivid viewpoints. If hiking isn’t your jam, the park also caters to adventurers with a variety of thrilling activities, including ziplining, 3D Archery courses and a self-guided GPS Scavenger Hunt. 

Courtesy of Amicalola Fall State Park and Lodge

Tallulah Gorge State Park

Tallulah Gorge State Park, a 2 hour drive from the Atlanta campus, surrounds a 1,000 foot deep gorge formed by the Tallulah River. The state park is an ideal destination for the avid hiker. The gorge itself is two miles long, alone worth the visit, but there are roughly 20 miles of surrounding hiking trails that lead hikers to stunning overlooks with unbeatable views. The most popular trail is the Hurricane Falls Hiking Trail, which crosses an 80-foot-high suspension bridge that sways over the flowing river, allowing for an up-close and scenic view of Hurricane Falls, one of the gorge’s six wondrous waterfalls. 

Another standout trail, for the intrepid hiker, is the Sliding Rock Trail. This is the most strenuous hike offered, but the most scenic by far; it reveals a remote section of the gorge floor with beautiful views of Bridal Veil Falls and stops at a deep swimming hole for a mid-hike refresher. The state park also features a paved 10-mile path on an old railroad, perfect for strollers and bikes. Tallulah Gorge State Park is one of the most scenic on this list and makes for a great Instagram photo opportunity. 

Courtesy of exploregeorgia.org

Rock City Gardens

Rock City Gardens houses over 400 different species of plants and trees; there’s constantly something new to see, no matter the time of year. Nearly 2 hours from the Atlanta campus, there’s a scenic garden walk, the Enchanted Trail, that takes you through a path of botanical beauty, featuring all colors, textures and stages of growth. Rock City Gardens’ name comes from its fascinating collection of unique rock formations, with enticing names, including the “Fat Man’s Squeeze,” “Needle’s Eye,” “Gnome Valley” and “Mushroom Rock.” These all serve as great photo ops as you make your way through the Enchanted Trail.

The gardens also feature a vast array of sculptures, created by local artists, further enhancing the path’s appeal. Rock City Gardens also possesses the impressive “See Seven States” view, 1,700 feet above sea level, along with other scenic viewpoints, including “Lover’s Leap” and a “Swing-Along-Bridge.”

Courtesy of exploregeorgia.org

Okefenokee Swamp

Okefenokee Swamp is comprised of nearly half a million acres of exquisite, reflective waters. It also serves as a safe-haven for many endangered wildlife species and an important mark of America’s prehistory. The swamp is about four hours and 45 minutes from Emory, making it a perfect weekend escape. This breathtaking natural beauty is peppered with delicate lily pads and intricate ecosystems for many species. 

The best way to access this swamp is via Okefenokee Adventures, a partner of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge (ONWR) located in Folkston, Ga. ONWR aims to conserve and promote the swamps and its environmental value. This is a must visit for any budding environmentalist, as the ONWR has 353,981 acres of National Wilderness Area in the refuge boundaries, and is named a Wetland of International Importance, due to being one of the world’s largest intact freshwater ecosystems. 

Okefenokee Adventures has extremely well-trained staff in biology, ecology and Okefenokee history, so visitors can enjoy a guided boat tour catered to their interests. They also offer sunset prairie tours in the evening, as well as extended excursion tours of the swamp by canoe, kayak or motorboat, allowing you to fully relax and soak in the view. 

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The Atlanta Beltline 

This list would not be complete without mentioning the Atlanta Beltline, which houses multiple parks and trails, serving its mission as one of largest urban redevelopment programs in the country to create a more equitable and inclusive Atlanta. The Beltline is a 15-minute drive from Emory, a quick and easy escape. 

Some standout parks include the Arthur Langford, Jr. Park, featuring public exercise equipment, a skatepark and open greenery, and the Perkerson Park, containing a baseball field, disc golf course, tennis courts and more. The Beltline also includes Atlanta’s largest planned greenspace (280 acres), Westside Park. This park is worth a visit just to witness its significant environmental and economic function in the city of Atlanta. It has sparked the creation of Westside neighborhoods and houses a crucial backup source of water for the whole city of Atlanta.  

The Beltline also regularly features art and performances from Atlanta locals—an ideal opportunity for Emory students to become entrenched in Atlanta culture. Additionally, the beltline prioritizes the environment and actively engages with volunteers to help clean up the parks and trails, aiding them in accomplishing their mission to foster community. 

Jordyn Libow (she/her) (25C) is from Greenwich, CT, and is majoring in English & creative writing and minoring in business. Outside of the Wheel, she serves as Public Relations Chair of Liberation Through Education at Emory, and is on the Outreach Committee for Emory's Atlanta Pediatric Cancer Outreach Club. In her free time, you can find her going on Lullwater walks, singing karaoke with friends, writing poetry, and drinking copious amounts of coffee.