The University Senate announced several new and modified policies concerning academic leave, designated names and student transportation during their Feb. 22 meeting.

One new addition was the Involuntary Leave of Absences and Return Policy, which defines a process for student withdrawal and subsequent return to the University in the event that they are unable to continue with their studies due to extenuating circumstances. 

According to Deputy Provost of Academic Affairs Christa Acampora, the policy details the exact procedure, including a process for subsequent return. 

“There are times when students may experience situations that significantly limit their ability to function successfully or safely in their role as students,” Acampora said. “A leave of absence permits students to take a break … so that they may address the issues that led to the need for the leave, and later return to the University.”

The University Senate also updated the Designated Name Policy, formerly known as the Preferred Name Policy. The policy initially allowed students to indicate a preferred name to be called in a classroom setting, which can differ from their legal name. Now, the policy will also allow students to designate their preferred pronouns. This change comes shortly after other schools like the University of Michigan and Vanderbilt University have announced similar changes to student recognition.

Ayla Khan/Contributing Writer

The pronouns will appear in class rosters, Emory’s student information system and University communications, Acampora said. The designation of pronouns and preferred names is entirely optional for students. 

The Transportation and Parking Committee also addressed their new sustainability initiative. According to committee co-chairs Stacey Gall and Lisa Underwood, the University purchased six new buses that utilize electric power, which reduce greenhouse gas production by 75% per bus, annually. 

“The decision to replace six diesel buses with six electric buses is based on the results of an extensive data driven feasibility study,” Adele Clements, Senior Director of Transportation and Parking Services, said. 

With 46 buses in the University’s shuttle fleet, Clements said the committee is considering purchasing more to push the sustainability initiative. 

“As technology and [Battery Electric Bus] performance increases, we will continue to evaluate the feasibility of increasing BEB vehicles in the future,” Clements said. 

Underwood also expressed support for the new initiative, mentioning the significant impact these buses will have on Emory’s green footprint. 

“We’re really excited [about the new buses] and appreciate the work that the committee did in helping to review all of the studies… that helped us operationally determine the best place for these vehicles.”

Ayla Khan (she/her, 25C) is from Nashville, Tennessee, majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology, and minoring in political science on a pre-med track. Outside of the Wheel, Khan serves as a Third-Year Legislator for the 68th College Council, and is a committee member for TableTalk. In her free time, you can find her exploring Atlanta with her friends, watching Gilmore Girls, or listening to either Drake or Led Zeppelin.