If you want to explore the Emory arts scene, support your fellow peers in their artistic journeys or kill time, and you’re not sure how or where to do any of these things, fret no longer! Start here, with a list of some upcoming art events on Emory campus. 

Emory Cinematheque: “Camp Vibes, Queer Feelings” 
Date: Jan. 18 – April 17, 7:30 p.m. 
Location: Goodrich C. White Hall, room 208
Cost: Free

Start your semester with an insightful look into the world of queer film with Emory Cinematheque’s newest weekly film screening series, curated by Visiting Assistant Professor Ben Kruger-Robbins. These films vary in genre, content and notoriety, but all approach themes of gender, sexuality and queerness with a unique perspective.  The first screening kicks off the series with cult horror classic “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?” (1962) on Jan. 18 followed by “Batman: The Movie” (1966) and “The Joker is a Card” (1965) on Jan. 25.

An Evening with Fred Hersch and Esperanza Spalding
Date: Jan. 19, 8 p.m.
Location: Cherry Logan Emerson Concert Hall
Cost: $55 (GA) | $10 (Emory students) 

Grammy-nominated jazz pianist Fred Hersch and Grammy-winning vocalist Esparanza Spalding will perform a variety of jazz songs, including original compositions by Hersch. 

Family Concert Series: Chinese New Year
Date: Jan. 22, 4-5 p.m.
Location: Ackerman Hall
Cost: Free

In celebration of the Lunar New Year, the Carlos Museum is hosting a family concert, open to students and non-students alike. The concert will feature performances of classical music from the Emory Chamber Music Society of Atlanta (ECMSA) and Chinese traditional music from Yao Lu on the bamboo flute and guzheng.

Faculty Concert: ARARAT, the beginning 
Date: Jan. 26, 27 and 28, 7:30 p.m.
Location: The Donna and Marvin Schwartz Center for the Performing Arts, Dance Studio
Cost: $25 (GA) | $10 (Emory students)

Visceral and existential, “ARARAT, the beginning” approaches matters of life, changing circumstances and humanity through dance. Promising a “futuristic journey” to viewers, this work invites viewers to contemplate and reflect.

Cooke Noontime Series with Itamar Zorman and Liza Stepanova
Date: Jan. 27, 12 p.m.
Cost: Free

No classes on Friday? Spend your afternoon listening to beautiful music as the ECMSA hosts award-winning violinist Itamar Zorman and esteemed pianist Liza Stepanova as a part of their Cooke Noontime concert series. 

Student Studio: Slow Down and Sketch
Date: Jan. 27, 1-4 p.m.
Location: The Michael C. Carlos Museum 
Cost: Free

Carlos Museum’s monthly “Student Studio” offers Emory students time to practice mindfulness, socialize and engage creatively. Museum educator Meg Williams will give a tour of the galleries, then students will be given a chance to practice observational drawing with provided materials. 

Anne-Sophie Mutter & Mutter Virtuosi Concert
Date: Feb. 2, 8 p.m.
Location: Emerson Concert Hall 
Cost: $90 (GA) | $10 (Emory Students) 

Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Schwartz Centre’s opening with a night of beautiful music performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter, renowned violinist. Music includes “The Four Seasons” by Vivaldi and the premiere of Unsuk Chin’s “Gran Cadenza.” 

Dooley Noted: First Friday Performance
Date: Feb. 3, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Location: Emory Student Center steps
Cost: Free

Join Dooley Noted, the gender-inclusive and service-oriented Emory A cappella group, for a showcase of music talent at Emory’s First Friday event.

Alexandra Kauffman (26C) is an English & Creative Writing major from Phoenix, Arizona. At the Wheel, she is an Emory Life section editor and Arts & Entertainment campus desk. Outside of the wheel, she is a member of Alloy Literary Magazine. She is also a science fiction enthusiast and enjoyer of the bizarre.