Just like that, the fall season is upon us. Atlanta weather has become quite chilly, and the drop in temperature has made it nearly impossible to continue wearing shorts and T-shirts. Yet sometimes, thicker clothing is more difficult to style. To stay warm this fall, accessorize your outfits with these suggestions, and you’ll be sure to stay warm while also spicing up your fall wardrobe.

Beanie

An absolute classic, a beanie is hard to ignore when talking about dressing for cold weather. Coming in a wide range of colors and styles, a beanie is a great final touch to your outfit. Keeping your head warm doesn’t have to come at the expense of fashion.  Carhartt’s beanies are high-quality and knitted, making great additions to anyone’s closet. Consider getting brown or navy to style your beanie with any color outfit. But no matter the brand, a beanie is undoubtedly perfect to wear in this cooler season. 

A beanie pairs well with your favorite outfits this fall, while also keeping you warm. (Wikimedia Commons)

Loafers

Suitable for any occasion, loafers are the cherry on top to your outfit. With recruitment and interviews occurring for students during this season, loafers are great to wear to both formal and informal events. For instance, attending a friend’s graduation party might call for a casual dress code, for which you could wear a simple T-shirt, blue jeans and a pair of loafers. As slip-ons, loafers are incredibly convenient to wear. Dr. Martens’ loafer is a customer favorite and can be found in stores such as Steve Madden and Urban Outfitters.  

Oversized sweater vest

Oversized sweater vests have garnered much attention over the past few years. Given their comfort and multifaceted nature for styling, their popularity is unsurprising. Though I generally layer one over a button-up shirt, the vests can be worn over a dress or under a cardigan, among other ways. The fall weather may be too cold for just one layer, so topping your outfit off with an oversized sweater vest will keep you extra warm.

Fuzzy socks

Fuzzy socks are a must-have for the fall season. Walking to class in frigid weather can make your feet icy cold. To prevent this, get yourself a pair of fuzzy socks to keep your feet extra warm. Grab long Christmas socks to celebrate the upcoming holiday or rainbow-colored socks to flaunt to your friends or layer them under your boots for a final finish. Once you’ve settled back in your dorm or apartment after classes, fuzzy socks paired with knitted loungewear can make for a perfect fit to sip hot chocolate and catch up on your favorite show. 

Straight-leg jeans

These jeans are great to wear to class, as they complement many types of upperwear while also keeping you warm. You could pair them with tops ranging from a crop top to a sweater or cardigan. Due to their simplicity, comfortable fit and looseness, a straight-leg pair of jeans is quick and convenient to wear. Abercrombie & Fitch and Pacsun both offer a wide variety of straight-leg jeans and affordable options. 

With the weather getting colder by the day, it’s important to stay warm. Instead of throwing on a jacket over everything, these four items have proved to do the trick to staying warm and stylish. It’s not too late to accessorize your fall closet as there’s more than a month left until the end of the season.

Esther Kim (24C) is from Queens, NY, heavily leaning towards a sociology major. Outside of the Wheel, she enjoys exploring restaurants around Atlanta, and taking naps.